GameClub Set to Launch This Fall With 50+ Classic iOS Games for One Monthly Fee

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

GameClub, the upcoming subscription service that is bringing back your favorite classic iOS games, is set to launch this fall with more than 50 all-you-can-play titles that will be available for one monthly fee.

Since it was announced back in March, GameClub has been beta testing its service, offering up access to original iOS games for free, but the service will soon be ready to debut.

There's no specific word on pricing for GameClub at this time, but today's press release says that there will be a "small monthly fee" for access to all of the games, which will be free of intrusive ads and in-app purchases.

At launch, GameClub will offer access to more than 50 games that were some of the original games on the App Store but that stopped being updated over time. GameClub's business model is revitalizing and updating older titles, many of which were incredibly popular years ago.

Content is curated by Eli Hodapp, the former editor-in-chief of MacRumors sister site TouchArcade, and for the last several months, Hodapp has been communicating with the iOS gaming community and getting developers on board.

Super Crate Box, Legendary Wars, Minigore, Space Miner, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor and subsequent titles, Mage Gauntlet, Plunderland, Incoboto, Hook Champ, and Super QuickHook are just some of the games that will be available.

Prior to when GameClub launches, these games are available to play for free through GameClub's ongoing beta testing process. Anyone can get access to the beta titles by signing up for the GameClub Early Access program on the GameClub website.

As mentioned above, GameClub will have more than 50 games at launch, and additional titles will be added on a weekly basis. In addition to classic titles, after launch, GameClub plans to expand into new and original premium games.

GameClub games will be available cross platform, so you can play on either iOS or Android, and all games will be downloadable and playable offline. For people who purchased the original titles that GameClub is reviving, you'll be able to play them for free.

Apple is set to launch its own Apple Arcade App Store gaming service in the near future, which will provide access to iOS games for a monthly fee with no in-app purchases or ads. GameClub differs from Apple Arcade in that it brings back classic, much-loved titles while Apple Arcade focuses solely on new games.

Article Link: GameClub Set to Launch This Fall With 50+ Classic iOS Games for One Monthly Fee

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
I am totally getting this (even before Apple's completing service).

So tired of "free" to play garbage (and Apple has a history of killing off gaming things as fast as they appear).

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
I’m not jumping on this right away but I’ll keep an eye on it. It would be great to get away from IAPs.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I’m not jumping on this right away but I’ll keep an eye on it. It would be great to get away from IAPs.
I'm not sure that a monthly subscription cost is better than in-app purchases. However I'll try to keep an open mind - a lot will depend on whether they continue to regularly introduce new games after the first few months.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
I'm not sure that a monthly subscription cost is better than in-app purchases. However I'll try to keep an open mind - a lot will depend on whether they continue to regularly introduce new games after the first few months.
That’s what I’m waiting to see. I am also waiting to see what my own schedule will be like and if I’ll play enough games to warrant a subscription.

apolloa

macrumors G5
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Doesn’t impress me I have to say, I think it’s DOA personally, they need to offer the big games on the service, but the studios will never do that as they are making far too much money from IAP’s, plus I don’t trust Apple with gaming, we’ve had some cracking games that have long been dumped thanks to Apples policy changes and forcing apps to need to be upgraded continuously.

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
I might get this for my little kid. It gets tiring watching him play Angry Birds or whatever and having to be constantly helping him understand what are ads, how to find the tiny invisible X to dismiss the ad, and what are sneaky IAP tactics to you you hooked on paying-to-win, and what's the actual game. And it's easily less than 50% game these days. And its depressing watching games which are absurdly easy. They don't want you to face any kind of challenge anymore. Just keep playing so you get to see more ads and scams.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
For $.99 a month, it might be worth looking into.
IAP doesn't make a game good.
If this is just a monthly subscription to a Dave and Buster type system, I'm not interested.