Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattkidd

macrumors regular
Looks good :cool: Tempted to get mine setup with bootcamp now... Are you using Windows 7 or Windows 8? Which driver do you have installed?

How are the fps when playing this game on your settings? Sure looks great ;)

firepower12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Looks good :cool: Tempted to get mine setup with bootcamp now... Are you using Windows 7 or Windows 8? Which driver do you have installed?

How are the fps when playing this game on your settings? Sure looks great ;)

Its windows 7, with the latest bootcamp drivers.
Not sure what the FPS is but theres absolutely no lag its really smooth.
Im about to get GTA IV with the graphic mods and see how that works out.

kaydot

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Heres a video testing out max payne 3 on the retina mbp

this is the 2.3 GHZ i7 with 8 gb ram

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCy6ymR1RII&feature=youtu.be

Hello, I know there are numerous threads on this, but I am curious to how you configured your Win7.

Did you:
- Which online tutorial, if any, did you follow?
- use an external USB drive to install Win7
- How much space did you allocate of your 256gigs to Win7

Lastly, which games do you intend to play on it? I'm mostly planning for StarCraft 2 and it's expansions, as well as SimCity when it comes out.

mattkidd

macrumors regular
Its windows 7, with the latest bootcamp drivers.
Not sure what the FPS is but theres absolutely no lag its really smooth.
Im about to get GTA IV with the graphic mods and see how that works out.

That's great, let us know the results and a video would be even better ;) try installing fraps or something to measure the fps also, unless you use in game commands.

firepower12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
That's great, let us know the results and a video would be even better ;) try installing fraps or something to measure the fps also, unless you use in game commands.

fraps slows it down though but ill try it ;p

Hello, I know there are numerous threads on this, but I am curious to how you configured your Win7.

Did you:
- Which online tutorial, if any, did you follow?
- use an external USB drive to install Win7
- How much space did you allocate of your 256gigs to Win7

Lastly, which games do you intend to play on it? I'm mostly planning for StarCraft 2 and it's expansions, as well as SimCity when it comes out.

I didnt really follow any tutorial. All you have to do is open bootcamp assistant and it downloads the newest bootcamp drivers onto your desktop then move them onto a cd or flash drive, once you install windows 7 you just take those drivers and install them and everything works perfectly. I allocated 100gb to windows 7, because i have a external HDD where i can put all the big files for mac.

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Diablo 3 on my thunderbolt display was very smooth, the game keeps telling me i am getting 0 FPS but it was very smooth.

I installed SC2, WoW, D3, CIV V, Portal 1 + 2 and TF2 so far.

Also thinking about setting up bootcamp but not before windows 8 comes out, it's bad enough i have to pay 200+ for windows just for gaming i am at least going to wait until the new one is released!

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Diablo 3 on my thunderbolt display was very smooth, the game keeps telling me i am getting 0 FPS but it was very smooth.

Also thinking about setting up bootcamp but not before windows 8 comes out, it's bad enough i have to pay 200+ for windows just for gaming i am at least going to wait until the new one is released!

Just use the win8 Release Preview (Release Candidate) its free and runs like butter! :) Ive used it as my main OS since its release a couple of months ago?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/release-preview

kaydot

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011

So you're actually playing these games on OS X but not on the Retina? Nice.
I won't have a thunderbolt display, but is SC2 and D3 playable on the Retina screen in OS X? Most of the people playing games on the forum are on Win7 installations, I'm pretty sure.

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
So you're actually playing these games on OS X but not on the Retina? Nice.
I won't have a thunderbolt display, but is SC2 and D3 playable on the Retina screen in OS X? Most of the people playing games on the forum are on Win7 installations, I'm pretty sure.

Have not tried SC2 yet but D3 worked fine, i mean the retina display is very nice and i will probably upgrade my TB display when/if apple makes a retina version but i really don't see the point of playing games on a 15" monitor when a 27" monitor is available, not like the thunderbolt display is a slouch either.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011

Unfortunately their latest patch took out the FPS meter. They said they hope to fix that in the next patch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.