Gamer iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cybert, Jun 13, 2012.

1. cybert macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I am about to buy a new imac, and I was thinking on the model 27" with the 2 GB of Video RAM.

The only thing I am doubting now is, will this machine be a kick-ass gaming machine? (I have never had a mac before, but I want one). I play a lot of games like max payne 3 etc, and I have read that with vm-ware fusion and/or bootcamp these games will work in OSX.

Anyone who can give me some advice? (is the ATI card good enough etc, or should I wait for the update with a geforce card?)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. It's a Mac. That said it should run most modern games acceptably well - the 6970M is still a decent graphics card.

3. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The top 2012 mobile graphics cards have 2x the performance of the 2011's. That's the primary reason I'm still waiting. The 6970m is a fine card. The 7970m is a certifiable beast, and the 680M tops it.

----------

I'm really hoping this shift back to Nvidia comes with some serious driver support, to get OS X performance and Win performance into some sort of parity. Probably just wishful thinking though.

4. DeF46, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

DeF46 macrumors regular

Yes, no, it's all relative. No if your idea of a kick ass gaming machine is 60 FPS all the time. Yes, if you just want all your games to be smooth and playable at 30+ FPS. Depends the game too, some will easily run 60 FPS, others are hurt by the 2560 res.

Keep in mind:
    * Forget emulation if you want the best of the GPU, you install games in Windows and use BOOTCAMP.
    * You CAN do a moderate amount of overclocking the mobile GPU, the fans can keep the temps in check
    * You DONT want to scale down, even on a 27 inch, trust me, it looks bad. Exception for racing games and action games where there is not much small text or labels, and a slight bluriness doesn't matter, in which case scaling down to 1920 is ok (still personally I never scale down in fullscreen, prefer a custom res and run windowed 2240x1260 for example which 16:9)

pS: definitely wait for upgrade if you plan on keeping this Mac for two+ years. Keep in mind the 6970M has been out for a while now, and after WWDC rumors it's very likely an updated iMac will appear between now and September.

5. cybert thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean then a dual boot system? Or is VMware Fusion or parralelles a good solution to not reboot the system?

6. leman macrumors 604

VMs are not fast enough, you need to dual boot windows.

I used to play games like Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, Guild Wars 2 beta, Diablo 3, WoW, Witcher 2, BF3 and several else. All of them run at native resolution (BF3 struggled, so I had to switch it to 1080p) with medium/high settings at 30+ fps. If your main reason is gaming, then really, get a PC.

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

You can run "casual" games in a VM. You don't want to do anything serious in there. The only reason to do that is if your desired game doesn't exist in OS X and you don't' want to reboot.

Win performance > OS X performance > Win in an VM performance.

8. DeF46 macrumors regular

Yep as forty2j said.

I reboot every day several times for gaming in Win7, and web development in OS X. It's not a problem at all for me, been doing this for 2 years now (late 2009 with the 4850M). How it works for me is that I was already used to Windows, and so I use Chrome in OS X, and in Windows. SO right now for example, I didn't reboot after a session of gaming, I'm browsing in Windows with Chrome. I'll reboot when I actually work :)

When I didn't touch Windows in a long time (long break from games) I admit I was a bit disorientated by the different UI, but it came back quickly. When you reboot daily between game/work partitions, it's second nature you don't mind the UI difference that much.

Only recently my boot time in W7 was getting slow and finally, I realized "why do I keep this P.O.S. aVast on there since I upgraded from XP???" So I removed aVast, and installed on-demand anti virus instead (ie. right click and scan). Much better.

If you don't install a lousy anti virus scanner with "resident protection" the reboot times is really short (imho).

Point is, Windows 7 is more secure, and in the rare occasion that I fall again prey to a zero-day exploit (happened once with a Adobe PDF Reader plugin), it's a gaming partition, I'll reinstall. I prefer to take that 0.01% risk of spending one day installing stuff than having slow boot and obnoxious "upgrade" messages from an anti virus the 99.99% of the time.

9. DeF46 macrumors regular

Emulation is always going to have a performance penalty even if the Intel CPU runs code natively. The main culprit is that the vast majority of PC games tend to be optimized for Direct X, while OS X is using OpenGL. So there is a translation there with a cost; That said there are more and more Mac native ports coming out nowadays on Steam.