Gamer needs help with memory/video card issues.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kpchunter, Jun 30, 2009.

1. kpchunter macrumors newbie

So, I play WoW. The recommended video specifications for Mac users is 128mb video ram, whereas my Macbook (late 2007, black Macbook, not Pro) contains a built-in, apparently non-upgradeable GMA 950 chipset with only 64 MB's of vRAM.

I've accepted that this is is apparently not able to be upgraded with a very heavy heart and a somewhat angry wallet, haha. I would have liked to be able to game better on this computer for the money I spent, but - c'est la vie. Buying a new one is not an option.

So, with this in mind, since I cannot upgrade my video to a chipset with more compatible vRAM, would I see a benefit from upgrading instead my RAM?

I currently have an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor with a speed of 2GHz, and 1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I've been told by some friends that upgrading my RAM would fix a lot of the issues I have in-game (which is, mostly, very low frame rates) - and I'm looking at a 4GB memory upgrade kit online (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146701), but I always figured that frame-rates would primarily be an issue best left to video RAM (you know, video RAM - video GAME! It just seems like they would go hand in hand, lol).

I'm not entirely computer illiterate - but as you can maybe guess, I AM somewhat illiterate when it comes to what exactly does what when it comes to computer gaming. Video RAM versus plain ol' regular RAM, what does it all mean? lol. Any suggestions would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

If it is indeed RAM that needs upgrading, are there any suggestions anyone can give me for somewhere to buy it cheaper than from Apple? I only have one arm and one leg left after buying the laptop itself, y'know. ;)

2. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

More RAM would help, no doubt. Just make sure you buy the right kind.

3. kpchunter thread starter macrumors newbie

Looking at this one currently: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146701

As you might have gathered from my post, money is a biiiiiiiiit tight at the moment. I'd still like to get the most bang for my buck. I hear good things about Mushkin as well as Kingston (the link I posted in my original rant).

4. theARNSKI macrumors regular

Oh boy, 1GB of ram. Glad to hear you're upgrading that!

In my whitebook, it had 2GB stock and although it would play nice, sometimes it would choke up, especially in Dalaran or Wintergrasp. But ever since I went to 4GB, the choke went away. Results may vary, but from 1GB to 4GB, you should see a big increase in performance.

5. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

it will help but not by much you need a new laptop even one with the 3100 graphics will be better if you can get a new white book even better you can pretty much max out all the settings in WOW except shadows. just sell that blackbook.

6. kpchunter thread starter macrumors newbie

And still the top healer in mah guild /polishes an apple on his lapel.

lols. Dalaran and Wintergrasp are hellishly awful for me, and mine is only a medium-high pop server. The upgrade in RAM, everyone tells me, is going to be a big difference. Like you said, results may vary. I'm just worried about that pesky issue with the integrated vRAM continuing to slow me down. 64MB is only half of the recommended (128 MB of video RAM is suggested, according to the box). But I guess there's nothing I can do about that short of buying a new computer, which isn't happening anytime soon.

Thanks very much for the input, though. It's good to see that this at least seems to be a step in the right direction.

7. kpchunter thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I was afraid of that, and thinking of selling this one to help toward the cost of a new one - but, you know... I've gotta do what I can for now! Thanks.