GameRoom Setup

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Cnasty, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

So what does your set up look like? Any impressive ones anyone wants to share?

I am on the DIY reddit subform a ton and see these awesome theater rooms and game rooms. I am in the process of buying a house and one of my requirements is a loft or media room to do this.

I am a big gamer and want the big TV/projector setup with awesome audio and all that good stuff.

So come on, share some ideas or pics if you have any. :)

2. foobarbazqux macrumors regular

I built a dedicated home theater in my previous house, with a 120" screen. While it was of course awesome for movies, I didn't like it for gaming and stopped using it for that. The problems were (i) the room has to be completely dark and I did't want to always be forced to play games in the dark, (ii) projectors are in general not as bright as TVs (good for movies but I sometimes preferred a brighter/sharper picture for gaming) and (iii) I didn't want to put a ton of hours on the bulb with gaming since they are quite expensive to replace. So I instead used my office for gaming. I had an average LCD TV with a leather recliner right in front of it. I really liked that setup so that's what I do in my current house. We converted a spare bedroom to my office/game room. It's not nearly cool enough to bother with pictures though.

I don't, however, have a dedicated theater anymore. We didn't use our old one enough to justify the expense to build a new one when we moved.

3. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

This is good feedback. We are about to begin our home search in the new area we just moved into and media rooms seem to be the norm in some of the houses we have seen. I am preferring a very large TV over a projector myself as the room will be used probably 75/25 split gaming to TV/Movie watching. So was thinking something 70inches or so versus a projector.

Also the surround system will be a little more in depth than the tv I think let alone the furniture set up and cost.

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I do mortgages for a builder that includes a media room in almost every floor plan. I hope to have one some day haha. :)

5. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I am in the process of getting pre-qualified for our first DFW home purchase. I am excited to try and find one with a media room to build our ultimate set up.

6. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Awesome, I am a Sr. Processor and have also been an underwriter. If you have any questions let me know.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not much really! I've got two setups;

Living room with a large 55" Bravia and surround sound. PS3, PS4, Wii U hooked up to it. Component cables for playing PSP on the big screen. Looking into getting a racing seat for my Logitech G27.

Second study/gamesroom/rec room. Sony Trinitron (I think 24"?) with SNES, Mega Drive, Wii, NES hooked up permanently. Considering getting a splitter to keep my Amiga hooked up too.

Aside from that I prefer handheld gaming anyways and that can be done anywhere in the house :) I'm considering building a reading nook in the attic which will really just be for the Gameboy!

8. mandoman macrumors 6502

mandoman

While I can't afford a home in my area with the square footage for a dedicated media room, I do all right on my setups.

Primary Gaming in Family Room - Current Gen Consoles - PS4, Wii U. I'll add an Xbox One in the fall.
    65" Panny Plasma w/5.1 Surround and leather sofa with built in recliners.

Office/Man Cave - Mac Computer/Emulator and Retro Gaming
    58" Panny Plasma and 27" Apple Cinema Display and 2.0 Neumann Studio Monitors, Sofa Chair, Leather Office Chair
    PS3, Xbox 360, PS2, Original Xbox
    Emulators - Openemu NES/SNES/Genesis/Misc and MAME with X-Arcade Tankstick

Bedroom - PS (Vita) TV
    47" LG Led w/5.1 Surround - PSTV mostly for remote play PS4 with some Vita gaming when wife takes over the family room, or when I want to be real lazy/cozy and game from bed, because sometimes gaming from leather recliner in family room just ain't being lazy enough :p

9. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

3 rooms in one house for gaming. I bow down to you.

10. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

We just have the living room home theater setup. 46" Plasma, nice surround sound, great for watching movies, listening to cd's (so old school!) and playing games on the couch with my wife. My PS4 and PS3 are hooked up. SNES and PS2 are in the cabinet and can be hooked up when needed.

I also have a Vita, but I never use it at home, and rarely when travelling. I just find it very uncomfortable to hold/use. If they came up with a more ergonomic design, I would probably use it more.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I used a grip case thing for my 3DS XL and original 3DS. Still can't play Mario Kart for a full cup without one of those. They must make them for Vita too, they're worth it if they do!
    edit: oh hey they do! https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=v...Kcm0UZPTgeAD&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1021&bih=610

12. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

That actually looks pretty cool. Only concern is it makes the Vita even bigger than it is already!

13. Centaurr macrumors 6502a

Centaurr