Gamers Buying Question....

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SouvenirCity, Jun 24, 2008.

1. SouvenirCity macrumors newbie

Being the avid wow'er that I am, I was wondering if the 2.4GHz Whitebook with 2 GB RAM would be powerful enough to run wow, in the highest volume of areas. If need be I am willing to upgrade the RAM to 4GB, but I really do not have the funding at the moment to get a Pro. I am happy playing WOW on my PC right now, but I would love if I could play it on the whitebook. Just wondering if the processing speed could run the game smoothly.

Thanks in advance

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I have heard that it will run fine on that system. The upgraded RAM won't really help IMHO

3. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I have a SR Macbook, 2.2ghz, 4GB, X3100 and Leopard. It runs WoW ok, but not great. Frame rates are usually under 30, in Outland and Shattrath, it can be in the teens.

So while it will run, it's not great, it's not a slideshow, but I wouldn't raid or PvP with it.

The Macbook Pro would run it much better.

4. ChocoboNL macrumors member

It's the Integrated Graphics

Well, I've got a late 2007 white MacBook 2.0 Ghz and 2,5 GB Ram.
    I used to play WoW as well, and the system can keep up pretty well. Even in Alterac Valley and places like Shattrath (though, my standard was very low, since I used to play it on a desktop from, like.. 2000-2001 before. It had 2.4 Ghz and 512 MB Ram and an old vid. card).
    However, there were places where the integrated X3100 GPU would really mess up the textures, mainly in expansion areas.
    The game would occasionally crash - if not always - at some areas as well (I once got stuck betwee Terrokar and Nagrand and had to log on another char to have a GM place me somewhere else because the game would instantly crash.)
    So, unless things have changed and the video problems have been solved, I wouldn't really dare to recommend it..
    You might want to go for an iMac instead? If your computer doesn't have to be a laptop and can't afford a MBP.

5. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

4GB of RAM won't make THAT much of a difference for WoW. The macbook will play it, but you mentioned of course 'in the highest volume areas' and if you're an 'avid' player you'll notice that really the integrated graphics won't do the game justice. I'd spring for a mid-range regular macbook and a mid-range desktop PC instead of going for a low-end macbook pro, personally.

6. SouvenirCity thread starter macrumors newbie

The decision I made was to get the Whitebook, 2.4GHz with 4 GB RAM. Playing on my 1.833 GHz, 1 GB Ram, Old Video card desktop, I feel it may actually be an improvement playing on the Macbook

7. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

Depends, the video card is the issue with the Macbook, the 2.4 and 4GB aren't the deciding factors. Even a old Geforce FX will run it better on a Desktop.

My 4 year old Dell laptop with a P4 and 2GB and a nice ATI 9800 Mobility Radeon run WoW better than my Macbook.

I love my Macbook, but if I got it partially to play WoW, I'd be really disappointed. Thank god I didn't get it for games, but curiosity got the better of me and I installed it. :eek:

When you get your MB, please report back on your results.

8. Garemz macrumors regular

9. Garemz macrumors regular

i have a 2.4ghz Black MB and 4 gigs of ram. Wow plays amazing on it with everything turned on high

Cheers
    Gary

10. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

What do you consider amazing?

My desktop plays WoW at 1920x1200 everything turned on, 60 FPS every inch of the game with tons of people around.

I consider that amazing.

Getting 12FPS at the Shattrath flight path NPC at almost half the resolution is not what I consider amazing. Especially since I have bloom off and some other things lowered at 1280x800 (native).

My friend plays WoW on his Dell laptop with a X3100 and gets slightly better performance due to Windows XP, Direct X and better drivers for Windows.

To each his own.

11. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Just an idea: while you might now have the funds for a brand new MBP, you could always pick up an older gen one (2.2 SR's ard $1449 in the refurb store) or possibly even a pre-SR around here for a little less. About the same as a brand new macbook. You'll take a little hit with the processor speed and ram ceiling, but you get the dedicated graphics card, which may very well be worth it to you.