Games 2d and Programs (Mac and IOS)

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by alexandre16, Mar 18, 2011.

1. alexandre16 macrumors member

hello people.
    I'm reading three books to learn how to develop games for 2d IOS and Mac, but not only, to also learn to make programs for other things.
    I say order the books that i will read:

1º-Programming in objective-c 2.0
    2º-Iphone programming the big nerd ranch guide
    3º-Beginning iphone games development

and I use xcode with cocos2d to do what I need but I saw a program called corona SDK and all say it's very good, but has a problem because it is paid and I would like to ask you if after reading these three well good books and learn everything you read and understand very much, I bought the corona SDK? is really good and easy to use this program to develop games 2d? and only one more question, after reading these three books that advise me to improve and to learn more 2D games for Mac and IOS?

2. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

If you're new to programming in general then I definitely recommend the first book on your list, and make sure you really go through it. If you're familiar with object oriented programming already then it will still be useful, but a little less so. I learned mostly by watching the Stanford iPhone class on iTunes U.

As for learning cocos2d and game programming, I recently bought "Learn iPhone and iPad cocos2d Game Development" It's really recent (published in Decemeber) And does a good job of explaining the different pieces of the API and how to put them together. Better I dare say than most of the cocos2d tutorials that I've seen. It's probably one of the better programming books that I've purchased.

3. alexandre16 thread starter macrumors member

i am a new progammer in Mac and IOS language but understand other languages like web languages (php,sql,html,css,etc), visual basic, pascal, but dont understand about object oriented programming and i want to study about that to IOS what you recommend to me?

4. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

Programming in Objective-C is probably a good start. And I suggest really going through it, follow the examples and "UNDERSTAND" what is going on in the examples. It'll be tough as it focuses primarily on Desktop I believe, and you'll be thinking to yourself... "Why am I bothering with this? I want to write iPhone apps!" just stick with it. Then after you have a good grasp of object oriented programming take a look at the Stanford lectures on iTunes U. They'll walk you through all the essentials of the iOS API. Then if you're interested in cocos2d I'd have a look to the book I mentioned earlier for a similar walk through of the cocos2d API. Along the way it would probably also be good to try to come up with your own code with what you've learned at each step. Nothing helps your programming abilities as much as taking an example and making it your own.

It's a long and frustrating journey to go from nothing to a polished iOS App, so don't fool yourself into thinking that it will be easy. But if you're passionate and persevere each frustration will also lead to a rewarding success, so hang in there.

5. alexandre16 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much for your help, i only need have one more question... i want to learn and understand object oriented programming, and what do you advise me to begin and learn quickly?

6. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

Are you familiar with procedural programming? More like C? If not, then you might even want to start there.

Unfortunately I don't have a quick and dirty way for you to learn object oriented programming concepts. I mostly learned through doing, so I think going through Objective-C Programming would help a lot. To get an idea of what's going on you could have a look to the wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming

I can also highly recommend the book Clean Code by Robert C. Martin. It gives a great rundown of various guidelines that are good to follow when you write your code. It will help you to not develop bad habits that will only cause trouble like I (and probably many others) have.