Games and holding with one hand

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kingdummkopf, Jul 4, 2012.

1. kingdummkopf macrumors member

i have bought some games for my ipad. is the ipad designed for game? i bought the new spiderman game and noticed it can get very warm at the back. is this ok?

also, i find if difficult holding it with one hand in landscape mode. again, is it made to be held this way, or portrait only? when am playing a game for example and the game requires me to use one hand to control the game and the other to hold it, and i don't want to break it. can i hold it with one hand on the bezel in landscape mode?

last question i will ask today, promise.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes, it is designed to play games. You hold it whichever way is most comfortable for you, landscape or portrait - depending on how the app displays of course.

Yes it is normal for the iPad to get warm, especially when playing GPU intensive games or apps.

3. kingdummkopf thread starter macrumors member

oh ok thanks.

it's just it feels awkward to hold/less secure when it's in landscape mode than when it's in portrait mode. heavier one one side and stuff. unless its just me being finicky

4. dancj macrumors 6502

I sit cross-legged with the iPad on my lap and the smart cover folded behind so the fuzzy lining stops it sliding down my leg. That way both hands are free for controlling the game.

The only games I actually hold my iPad for are ones with gyroscope control like driving games. For all of those holding with both hands and controlling with my thumbs works a treat.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Agree with above poster. I don't think iPad is meant to be held with one hand for extended periods of time, in either portrait or landscape. If you need one hand to use the controls, find a way to rest the iPad against something -- your knees, pillow, desktop with a stand, etc.

6. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

If anything, the iPad is more of a gaming device than anything else. At basically any moment in time the majority of the top 10 apps in the AppStore are games. In fact, at this very moment, the top 20 paid apps are games, number 21 being Pages. Only 2 of the top 10 free apps aren't games.