Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
When playing games in iOS 5, the notifications bar keeps sliding down. Does anyone know if Apple will do something about this? Maybe app devs will set apps to ignore Nofitication Center gestures until the app is paused or something... Ideas?

cdmta

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

That's not what he meant. They made changes to the notification shade, but an incoming message will still show at top when receiving. Happened to me yesterday. I hope they address this.

haticK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2011
New York
I like that feature. On Android you have no idea what kind of notification you got while in a game so you are forced to exit it and look.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I think what the OP meant is accidentally sliding down the notification bar when you don't want to. This happened to me multiple times playing a solitaire game in my iPad and it was very annoying. Going to grab a card, but grabbing the notification center instead... Yeah, unacceptable. I think it should NOT be accessible in full-screen apps... You should only be able to pull it down by dragging the status bar. No status bar, no notification center.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I think what the OP meant is accidentally sliding down the notification bar when you don't want to. This happened to me multiple times playing a solitaire game in my iPad and it was very annoying. Going to grab a card, but grabbing the notification center instead... Yeah, unacceptable. I think it should NOT be accessible in full-screen apps... You should only be able to pull it down by dragging the status bar. No status bar, no notification center.

Look a few posts up they've fixed this issue, well 95% fixed it.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD

This is fixed in beta 3.

I still believe there should be a way to dismiss a banner alert though.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2010
If the fix in beta 3 isn't good enough for you, then turn off notifications completely before you play your game. Jeez, some people will complain about anything..

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Look a few posts up they've fixed this issue, well 95% fixed it.

This is fixed in beta 3.

I still believe there should be a way to dismiss a banner alert though.

Cool, I didn't see that post (and I still haven't updated to Beta 3 yet). Thanks for the info! Hopefully that isn't annoying.

The only downside I can think of is playing a full-screen game that has on-screen control pads (Street Fighter 4, NBA Jam, for example)... I'm wondering if those will cause the notification center to accidentally be accessed. That would be terrible! I can't test this though since I'm still running iOS 4 on my iPhone, I only put iOS 5 on my iPad but don't have those games on it.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?

bigbowlofjelly

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
Cool, I didn't see that post (and I still haven't updated to Beta 3 yet). Thanks for the info! Hopefully that isn't annoying.

The only downside I can think of is playing a full-screen game that has on-screen control pads (Street Fighter 4, NBA Jam, for example)... I'm wondering if those will cause the notification center to accidentally be accessed. That would be terrible! I can't test this though since I'm still running iOS 4 on my iPhone, I only put iOS 5 on my iPad but don't have those games on it.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Games like you mentioned above have the phone in landscape and the notification tab moves with the screen into landscape view and you have to slide it twice now so shouldn't really be a problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.