Games, but No IM App Yet

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by scotty588, Aug 15, 2007.

1. scotty588 macrumors 6502

Don't get me wrong games are fun, but I am really dying for an iChat app. I haven't used "jailbreak" on my phone yet, but if someone comes out with an IM app I think I might. If people can make these games I am sure this is possible. Just my 2 cents.

2. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

i jailbreaked my iphone last night and it is nice, but i was thinking the same thing. i'm not sure why no IM app has been made yet. maybe developers haven't been able to gain access to the network connectivity. none of the apps out use the network or wi-fi except the "installer" app that actually installs them.

3. scotty588 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am well aware of the many web apps for IMing. I am talking about actual apps that sit in the menu of the phone.

4. cmaier macrumors G3

What would be the advantage of a native app over a web app like the new meebo client or beejive?

I always use web clients on my desktop for IM, so i'm just wondering. The only thing I can think of is a native client could at least turn off the screen and "wake up" on an incoming chat or something, but I'm imagining the radio polling is burning more battery than the screen.

5. The General macrumors 601

Actually, I was helping my friend determine the cause of a problem on his computer. It was unreachable through port 55. I was pinging his laptop in MobileTerminal.app ... everyone thought I was some kind of leet hax0r. :rolleyes:

Programs can access the internet through EDGE and through WiFi, which is what this post is about. :p

6. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I can think of several off the bat:
    -Multitasking
    -Screen wake/sleep
    -Better integration
    -Easy network reconnect in the event of a drop. Similar to what FlickIM has, but can usually be implemented better natively.
    -Faster UI

7. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

-Notification of a received IM via a popup, tone or vibrate.
    -Don't have to download the images that make up the interface everytime you connect (could file under faster UI)

8. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

Yah an im app would be great, for some reason i tried to log into flickim and it doesnt work for me, meebo does though.

9. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Not to mention the web apps disconnect you if you have your phone on standby. A phone app wouldnt do that.

10. Espo macrumors 6502

FlickIM doesnt disconnect you. If it finds that you are on stanby it puts up an automatic away message, stating that you are away.

11. racemize macrumors member

it's needed for the notification (i.e., vibrate on receive like an sms or email message).