Games Expiring

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by asxtb, May 24, 2008.

1. asxtb macrumors 6502

The other day I was playing Pro Baseball Spirits 4 (this is last years version of the game. 5 has already been released) and I decided to play a game online. Instead I got a message saying that the online servers were no longer supporting 4. So the online for my game has expired.

This got me thinking... with all consoles being connected now, does anyone think game companies may start "expiring" games? Games like Madden? For example, if someone buys Madden 08 they are able to play the games, single player and online for about a year, maybe a month or so after Madden 09 is released. After that if you try to play the game you just get a message saying the game is expired and to go buy the newer version.

Of course you couldn't do this with story based games. Some people may want to replay xxx1 and xxx2 before xxx3 comes out.

I obviously don't support this, I'm just wondering if anyone can see this happening in the future.

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

it seems to happen quite frequently. EA released a list of games on the PS2/xbox that were getting their servers shut down. For online only games and MMO's it seems that must be their fact as eventually they will get shut down... only people running their own servers will be able to play the games. Its weird to think though... imagine if you couldn't play I dunno... Mario 64 anymore because the game didn't really exist anymore.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I take it this was the PS3 version? I can't imagine LIVE would stop supporting a game.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thankfully the first console game I've played online (other than just trying it out) is Mario Kart Wii and I can't imagine them shutting down that one just yet. Before that I've only ever really played PC games online and never come across a dead server. What a stupid thing to do - I hope they release a patch to support hosting the game on your own system (like a PC game) otherwise I just wouldn't buy the game.

5. asxtb thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, it is for the PS3.

Also, I meant the whole game would 'expire' not just the online, everything. Imagine putting Mario Kart Wii into you Wii and a screen pops up saying that the game is not longer supported and if you want to play Mario Kart you must purchase Mario Kart Wii 2.

I would think if games become downloads like MS wants and Sony and Nintendo have started doing, it would be even easier to have a game 'expire' and make the person pay again for the next version. Kinda of like a rental in a way but for 1-2 years.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I doubt that would happen. Steam has ancient PC games, they still sell plain old Half Life 2 (the first thing on the shop in 2004). I don't think they're just going to expire old games and force you to upgrade, not when they're up against the likes of Steam and GameTap.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

That wouldn't happen....You get charged full price for a product only to have it shut off in two years time. I can understand the online portion being shut down if the servers are not being used but not the single player.

Games like warhawk and online PC games took care of the problem by allowing the individual PC/PS3 to be the server. If a game is popular and a lot of people are using the servers....very small chance of it being shut down.

People are still playing SOCOM II, CS, R6 series.

Bless

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

No, wouldn't happen, people would flip out, plus companies already do their small upgrades, and people buy the games in large amounts each year, so why change that? (I'm looking at you Madden!)

Online it could, but I doubt it with XBL and PSN.

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

MS did also announce that they will start dropping low rated/unpopular XBLA games from their servers with 3 months notice. What happens if they take it off the servers and you need to redownload it?

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I assume they will take them off the LIVE marketplace and not necessarily the server per se.

Therefore those that have already downloaded it - will be able to redownload, but new users will not have access.

11. asxtb thread starter macrumors 6502

I just happened to find this yesterday...
    On the back of the Madden 08 case, in the small print it says...

"EA may retire online features after 30 days notice posted on ea.com or 30 days after the last day of the 2007-2008 NFL season."

That last part seems rather early.