Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rossip

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
Apple lost its license to use the underlying software that encompasses Rosetta for Lion and future releases of OS X and since IBM acquired it from its original authors, it is doubtful that Apple could relicense it even if they wanted to.

Where'd you hear that?

rhcpryan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
I get the same message about it being a ppc granted I have been trying to use torrent downloads:D. I don't want to buy a game until I know it will run. I bought this mac a few months ago. its a macbook pro I5 series so it should be sufficient for strategy games or another software out currently. I love the old world of warcraft3 and command and conquer series. If I want anything new or a rpg or a shooter I'll just buy it for my ps3. I grew up on warcraft and command and conquer so it'd be awesome to play those old games. Can I run bootcamp to be able to choose between running snow leopard and Lion? I use Lion for production purposes for recording music and making music videos so it's still useful in that aspect just like to play my old games on snow leopard.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I get the same message about it being a ppc granted I have been trying to use torrent downloads:D. I don't want to buy a game until I know it will run. I bought this mac a few months ago. its a macbook pro I5 series so it should be sufficient for strategy games or another software out currently. I love the old world of warcraft3 and command and conquer series. If I want anything new or a rpg or a shooter I'll just buy it for my ps3. I grew up on warcraft and command and conquer so it'd be awesome to play those old games. Can I run bootcamp to be able to choose between running snow leopard and Lion? I use Lion for production purposes for recording music and making music videos so it's still useful in that aspect just like to play my old games on snow leopard.

You don't need to steal it, just read the specs. If it's not a Universal Binary or Intel only, it won't run under Lion. Period.

From my understanding, Snow Leopard won't run under Bootcamp. I thought they had changed the licensing to allow it to be virtualized under Fusion or Parallels. Other than that, there's a hack on here somewhere that'll let you pop it in virtualizing, but for me it seems too much of a hassle.

For me to play older games, I'm thinking of either using Parallels (from the bundle) and playing Windows games or getting a PowerPC on the cheap, which would also let me see how Apple was before Intel.

You could also go to Best Buy and get a Windows 7 PC to see how the games run. If you like it, go back to Best Buy and pay for it.

rossip

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
You can partition your hard drive to run both Snow Leopard and Lion legitimately. Bootcamp partitions the disk to run windows and create a driver cd, so you would not use that to make a partition for snow leopard. Use disk utility to partition for snow leopard.

laetusviator

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Apple lost its license to use the underlying software that encompasses Rosetta for Lion and future releases of OS X and since IBM acquired it from its original authors, it is doubtful that Apple could relicense it even if they wanted to.

Interesting! Didn't know that.

Also, I like the SL in Lion; but yeah, for gaming that probably won't work particularly well. (Rosetta in SL in Lion... yikes).

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX

Where'd you hear that?
Information has been posted by the well-known hacker, Wasp!

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK

I BEG YOU: DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK

[do not enlarge this image by clicking on it!]

Attachments

• Apple - Rosetta.jpg
    Apple - Rosetta.jpg
    722.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.