Games for the 680?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by laryenhilllvr, Jan 10, 2013.

1. laryenhilllvr macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

i'm looking to order some games for my new imac (still processing from the 26th) so i'll hopefully have those ready to go by the time it arrives. are there any suggestions on great games out there, either in general or that will take advantage of the 680 graphics card?

i'm not much of a gamer, but as i find myself bored from time to time it would be nice to play a game other than the sims 3 (of which i am a HUGE fan). in regards to genres or styles i'm really not particular so go wild. one thing though is that where i'm at i will not have internet access through my computer so the game, at least in portion, will have to be offline with no online registration required (if i could do it remotely like through another computer without the game loaded on it, that would be fine). i bought civilization v only to find out i had to log into steam to activate the game. any suggestions you all have would be GREAT.

2. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

www.gamespot.com

3. crovali macrumors member

wabam

4. Jindra12 macrumors newbie

Starcraft 2 and Civ V is pretty good.

I heard BF3 is doing really good on it running through a bootcamp.

5. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Finding games that ship on physical media with no online activation required is a rather daunting task. If you could connect just once, there's lots of stuff you could download from the Mac App Store (Assassins Creed franchise, RAGE, Borderlands franchise, and much more. But without even that.. I don't know what to tell you. You can pretty much rule out anything from Blizzard or 2K, and perhaps EA as well.

Note that your iMac doesn't even come with a drive to read the optical discs.. you'll need to buy one separately. (I'm assuming you don't have the option to do a network share of another computer's drive on your house.)

6. laryenhilllvr thread starter macrumors regular

i know it's a difficult task...thanks to these darn technological innovations lol. seriously though, i tried looking for games as i had gotten into wow like a year ago, but obviously can't play it. so i started looking for games and it seems EVERYTHING requires online registration...except the sims. i got all excited about batman arkham, only to find out i needed to register online and the same for age of empires, civilization 5, borderlands, guild wars, etc. well looks like i'll have to keep it simple and buy checkers :rolleyes:

i understand they don't come with optical drives, so i already ordered a superdrive from amazon (i think it was 10 bucks cheaper). well, at home i have cox's ultimate intnet package...the only problem is that i'm currently deployed. we have like an internet cafe so if i could register online through another computer it wouldn't be as big a problem. if i could download the file directly to a thumb drive without the need for a download manager (unless that can be stored remotely) or something then maybe...just maybe i could do that. i know there's a guy here that downloads games a lot, i'm just not sure where or what kind of games he gets. i'll ask him and find out.

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Yeah, online activation through a different computer won't work. You need to prove that you can sign in to your Steam/Apple account through the computer you're using in order to play. Is there any chance you could get something like a 4G Hotspot? Or you could carry your iMac to the internet cafe and plug it in to get set up?

8. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

i would say, and i say this trying to avoid the ban hammer, that in this case, and only if you do own the original game, then looking for a torrent that contains a cracked copy of the game might be your only solution.

9. laryenhilllvr thread starter macrumors regular

*#@! looks like i'm screwed then. unfortunately i cannot connect my computer to the server here, it's monitored by some imaginary person far far away who reprimands people for connecting routers to it. i could possibly get a phone and use that to get internet service, but that would requre shelling out a coupe of hundred bucks for a phone along with service activation, etc. for a phone in a third world country. the internet is guarenteed to be slow and i would only have it for a couple of more months. at this point i may just have to give up and take solace in the sims until i get back to the state. then i'll begin my downward spiral into gaming...

10. Serban Suspended

Blizzard

Every single game of blizzard is for digital download...so no problems here with the optical drive. I think many games through Steam as well. You can always look in MAC app store but there are few real games for desktop, there are more for ipad etc

11. bflowers macrumors 6502a

That covers what I've been playing!

12. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

You may have missed it, but the OP's particular problem is that his iMac will be disconnected from any network for a few months and he's looking for games that will install from disc and run without any network-activated DRM. He's already solved the optical drive problem.