Games on Pogo.com

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nagihcim1, Jun 9, 2009.

1. nagihcim1 macrumors newbie

I'm having trouble with games on Pogo.com on my Mac Mini running OS X 10.5.7. When I run Firefox 3.0.10 or Camino, flash runs noticeably slow. When I run Safari 3.2.3, flash runs fast but it crashes on the average of once every half hour while playing games (it doesn't crash on other sites). I've also download Safari 4 and got the same results. Anyone have any suggestions to solve this?

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Convince Adobe to vastly improve Flash performance under Mac OS X.

3. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

There's only one problem with your suggestion. Pogo.com uses JAVA *NOT* Flash. :rolleyes: (Besides, even if a site does use Flash the latest 10.3 beta version of Flash I'm running claims to be almost as fast as the Windows version except for H264 decoding and that's because Apple does not offer API support to the hardware like Windows and thus it's Apple's own stupid fault a lot of software doesn't run as well).

If I try to play Scrabble on Pogo.com on my 1.8GHz G4 running Leopard (or even Literati on Yahoo), the window does not get properly updated. In other words, the screen will not always show recent updates to the screen graphics. This is most obvious when scrolling in the available table lounge on Pogo.com. Most of the screen does not update when scrolling down through the lists. This does not happen on my PC when running Pogo.com with the same browser (Firefox 3.6 on both). It seems pretty obvious that there is something wrong with Apple's JAVA platform for OSX. I'm going to try running it on Safari under Leopard and Firefox under Tiger next. I've seen other messages/threads suggesting the same problem on Intel Macs as well when using Firefox (some indicate Safari might work a bit better, but then they say it crashes every 30 minutes or so, which is just as bad for playing a game).

It just seems sad (pathetic really) that Apple cannot get its Java updates to function properly in 2010. Maybe the fact that they insist on doing the updates whereas they seem to be automatic on Windows results in very OLD versions of Java or something that gets looked over. Apple is not very responsive to either Java updates or OpenGL updates and in the former case this probably results in much of the problems on sites that expect computers to stay current, although the problem could be a bug in their implementation.

Edit: Further investigation reports that for Leopard 10.5.8 with the latest updates, my Mac is running Java version 1.5.0.22 which is the last version of Java 1.5 and was declared END OF LIFE in November 2009. In other words, this version of Java is now officially "DEAD" according to Sun Microsystems. No wonder it cannot be relied on to work properly. Version 1.6 of Java was first available in December of 2006! It is now at 1.6.0.18 as of January 14, 2010. Why hasn't Apple updated Leopard? Because they DON'T CARE. The "most advanced operating system in the world" is using 4+ year old Java versions. Pathetic.

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Get Java 1.6 here