iPad Games that maximizes the full potential of the iPad 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dvboy, Dec 3, 2012.

1. dvboy macrumors regular

There are quite a few fairly intensive games out there that the iPad 3 can do as well as the iPad 4,but just slightly slower.I was wondering if anyone knows of any graphic intensive games out there that uses the iPad 4 to its maximum potential that an iPad 3 wouldn't be capable of delivering??

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its similar to PC gaming. The iPad 4 will run those games at higher settings than the iPad 2 or 3. No game publisher is foolish enough to target such a relatively small number devices exclusively.

3. dvboy thread starter macrumors regular

Yes,but it seems to me all the games at this point have set there highest levels at a point the iPad 3 can achieve,and not something that can take advantage of the iPad 4??Maybe I am wrong,wouldn't the first time.

4. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

I have a game on my iPad 3 called "gears & guts". You drive a car and run over zombies. If there are a lot of zombies being run over the framerate goes to hell, super jumpy and lagged. I imagine this would be less of a problem on iPad 4. I don't play a lot of games on my iPad but I doubt this is something limited to just that particular game.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Just like with PC games, if you choose the same high quality level, the machine with the better GPU and more RAM will have a higher framerate.

6. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

i thought the iPad 4 w/ A6X would play Metal Storm better than my iPad 3 with A5X used to. nope. still stutters here and there.

it's not worth the extra money to get the iPad 4. anyone who says the resale will make up for it is foolish. here is my example:

7. The New iPad macrumors regular

Sounds like shoddy coding by the developer. A bad dev could code Pong to where it lagged, too.

8. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

9. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

Go try galaxy on fire 2 HD on the ipad 4. Major letdown when it still stutters at retina resolution.

Getting really sad at the performance of the ipad 4. Might wait for ipad 5 while in the mean time go with lower sized ipad mini.

10. Medic311, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

i'm totally not surprised to hear about your lag issues. i've been saying this all over the forum, that despite Apple touting the A6X as "twice as fast", the A6X still isn't even sufficient enough to utilize the Retina display's full capability. i'm not talking about web browsing and gchatting, i'm talking about what you said above...playing a graphics intensive game such as that or Metal Storm. powering the Retina ends up being the bottleneck and the achilles heel of the iPad 3 and iPad 4. neither the A5X nor the A6X truly is sufficient. the iPad 2 with A5 has superior gaming performance over the generations of iPads that Apple touts as perfect for gaming (how ironic)

i've used both the iPad 3 and iPad 4 extensively, and the performance improvements currently are nearly negligible and limited to minute basic operations such as opening a folder of apps and web page scrolling. my iPad 4 loaded web pages faster by a second at most, compared to the iPad 3.

i bounced around from a brand new iPad 3, apple allowed a return and i got the iPad 4. saw how insignificant the differences were after playing with it for 2 weeks, returned it and got an iPad Mini. this device is great, but there is massive light bleed and it's impossible to do an exchange as no Apple store within a 50+ mile radius of me that has the 64GB LTE-Verizon in stock. i decided that i will be returning it tomorrow and picking up an iPad 3 64GB LTE-Verizon refurb that i ordered online last week. it came to $679 - just $20 more than the Mini. i think i will use that until the iPad 5 comes out.

overall i am thoroughly disappointed in the iPad 4 w/ A6X just as much as you do. those performance tests show that the A6X is a beast compared to the A5X, but real world use just doesn't reflect that and most likely won't reflect that. the A6X will end up being a blip on the timeline as Apple realizes the Retina still needs something better and rolls out the A7X aggressively (or whatever it's called next)

11. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

I absolutely agree with everything. I sold my ipad 2 64GB 3G to buy an ipad mini. Then realized I just rebought another ipad 2! Then with the refunded money, went to an ipad 4 because with my iphone 5 I truly believed the performance was very very good on the i5 and thus the ipad 4 would be even better due to faster cpu clocks and bigger battery. But I am not that happy with my current setup just about finished more comparison to another ipad 2 I have in the house. In fact the games that run in retina are OK - the not so heavy graphic intensive games are ok but games like metal storm, gof2HD, even real racing 2 HD, have stuttering at retina.

I've said before the retina graphics is a double edge sword, looks great with everything else but to run great with games, very powerful hardware is required and yes, even the A6X does not seem to be enough!

So essentially, the ipad 4 is gonna perform as good as the ipad 2/mini. In fact, at a lower resolution, the ipad 2/mini will outperform the ipad 4 and still look good at native resolution than being upscaled on the ipad 4 @1024x768!

There are a lot of ipad mini haters - so they like to jump on people who say the ipad 4 is not that great - but having used both mini and ipad 4 extensively, I do not see the ipad 4 as a big successor to the ipad 3, it's sadly just a small boost in performance at this time (without any optimized games).

Unfortunately, I'm stuck at the importance of PDF reading so damned if I go with the mini, and since I don't play too many games, I guess the ipad 4 will be ok. One thing the ipad 4 does very well is work with 1080p videos - especially using pinnacle studio for ipad - i can import .mp4 videos and edit them and it's very fast compared to the lower spec'd ipad 2/mini/3