Games which run nicely on the rMB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gooseta, Aug 12, 2015.

1. gooseta macrumors member

gooseta

Looking for something that will run smoothly but not so basic as to be a straight up iOS port. Thanks!

2. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

$1300 to play games, and not even decent games. I cant figure that out. I see it for web browsing, email, research, movies, tv, radio, and basic work -- WORD, PAGES, etc. And that is a lot, especially being so light, and with a great screen, and keyboard. But that alll can be accomplished (and more) for a lot less $$$ with a MBA or a samsung note pro 12.2 tablet. Apple needs to bring down the price substantially to make this a success.

3. em2828 macrumors newbie

I've been playing left for dead 2, garry's mod, the telltale game of thrones game and portal 2. I have the 1.2 rMB and they all run really well on medium settings.

4. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Download OpenEmu and you'll have thousands of games you can play :)

5. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

My thoughts exactly. Just like the original MacBook Air, it's a great piece of technology but horribly overpriced for what it does. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Big Mac update next year they announce "now starting at $1099" and the crowd goes wild. All of a sudden these people that trashed the MacBook before buy one

6. Brocksley macrumors member

Brocksley

I play a quick match in heroes of the storm on it. I'll play through some daily WoW quests on it.

7. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

What model? (1.1, 1.2, 1.3)

Also what settings in WoW and how well (fps and such) Obviously I wouldn't raid on it, but curious to know for when I'd want to do simple questing or soloing.

8. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I know this doesn't answer your question man, but i think you'd really be better off if you're going to be doing gaming on anything, doing it on an ipad or something. The retina macbook is fine for most tasks, but gaming is where i've seen the most slowdowns and gaming on ipad is pretty damn awesome anyway

9. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

A: Those games aren't on iPad (PC and Mac only)

B: Don't always want to sit down at a desk to play something quickly. (30 mins - 1 hour)

10. Brocksley macrumors member

Brocksley

1.3 I put everything on mostly low, except textures which are on high, resolution is turned down, can't remember what it is right now, I will try and check when I get back home. FPS in wow is 40-60 doing solo stuff.

I have a PC build to do serious gaming on, but I have no problem doing short sessions sitting on the couch with this machine.

11. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

That's pretty decent, thanks!

I would have expected 25 fps and lower. But 40-60 is more than usable for quick tasks.

12. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I know it's not equal to my 2015 MBA or 2013 rMBP, but it's got to have more power than my previous 2008 MacBook with a 256MB 9400m right? Like, 300-400% faster if benchmarks are to be believed.

If so, I was able to play Half Life 2 (all), Portal 1&2, FEAR, Need for Speed Most Wanted and Carbon, Burnout Paradise, Call of Duty 4 MW, Guitar Hero III, and much more on that old guy running around 30 FPS in most of them to 60 in Guitar Hero. This was running in 720p most of the time mind you. And they are older games. But older games should run fairly well on the new MacBook. Or 2D platformers and such.

This was also mostly on Windows, since DirectX blows OS X's Open GL out of the water for most games (till Metal hits). Especially if they're cross platform. COD4 was the Mac version and it ran well enough, but running it in Windows made a very big difference.

13. mnm12 macrumors newbie

Anyone run the Sims 2 Super Collection from the App Store on their rMB? The nostalgia in me is telling me to buy it... but I'm not certain how well something like that would run on this thing and I don't want to waste $30 to have it not run smoothly. I've got the base model rMB.

14. Dayv macrumors 6502

I replayed both Portal games and Half-Life 2 when I got my new Macbook. No problems at all, and I was even able to increase the resolution past 720 lines.
    (1.2 / 512 model)

15. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

There are a few Youtube videos on gaming on a rMB. The few I watched is WOW, GTAV(appears to be fake) and Farcry if I recall correctly. Low settings and somewhat playable. Let another poster claims, don't expect too much from this little monster.

16. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I'm sure most aren't expecting maxed out settings. They just want to know what is at least somewhat playable (even at full on low) for times they don't feel like sitting down at a desk or just want to do something quickly in a game to pass a short amount of time. From everything I've seen and heard, it can at least do this for most games.

17. jtoepel macrumors newbie

I just got a 1.2 on CL last weekend for $1275 (sold my 2012 rMBP for 1200 so I felt like I got a good trade).

I'm not a big graphics guy and value responsiveness and clarity. This is all at 1400x900 and with graphics on "Low"

- League runs 30+ FPS closer to 60, even for long periods of time.
    - Hearthstone unsurprisingly is great (although Battle.net tops up a warning that the CPU is under 2.0 ghz)
    - Starcraft II's tutorial ran well. (didn't stress test or go for length)
    - Portal II was a bit chuggy in later levels, definitely playable but probably in the 20-24 range

I primarily game on console so being able to play anything on this was just a bonus for me, but my (purposefully low) expectations have been surpassed.

18. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

As a note too for the near-ish future. Especially with Blizzard games. The performance will only get better once Blizzard adds in the Metal support. (They already confirmed on their own forums that they are starting with WoW and will probably move to all their other games.) I would expect their new expansion for WoW they just announced last week will have Metal. (Which is supposed to start beta later this year)

Also all the other confirmed game studios who will be adopting and adding Metal to their games.

Might not be huge massive improvements for the rMB but there should definitely be some.