Games works on PC, not on Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by happydudeca, Mar 19, 2008.

1. happydudeca macrumors member

I've been searching for a World War Two real time strategy game. I downloaded the Company of Heroes demo and was relatively unimpressed. Frankly, I likes games that are a little easier and that I can cheat in :D .

Anyway, I have a copy of Blitzkrieg that I want to play. I used to play it on a Dell PC with Windows XP SP2 with no issues. I now have a MBP and a Bootcamp partition (XP SP2). The game installs just fine, launches fine, but when I go to play it the damn thing freezes and I have to manually power down. I've also noticed that Call of Duty has a similar problem with respect to not working properly. I wondered if the graphics card was the problem, but NVidia's website doesn't seem to offer drivers for the MBP's. Other games like Crysis, COD4, and AOE III work without issue. Are Blitzkrieg and COD 1 just too old to play anymore?

Edit, since this shows up on a Google search, the solution is to update the game with the duo-core patch, which can be found at http://bkportal.com/default.asp?content=downloads&downloadID=384

2. Titus Pullo macrumors newbie

PC games not playing on Bootcamp

I have installed and played Blitzkrieg (no patch), Blitzkrieg: Burning Horizons (patched), Call of Duty 1, Call of Duty: United Offensive, Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, BIA: EinB--all using Bootcamp in my XP partition of my MacBook Pro (Intel Core Duo, 2.2 GHz, NVidia 8600 GT, and all with no problem. So that means it should be possible, especially for a game like Blitzkrieg.

I currently play COD4 on my Mac partition (Mac version of the game) with no
    problems (besides some tweaking to make it run smoother, and to raise my fps), although setting up Punkbuster took a couple of tries. I turn off most of the settings (e.g. shadows, anisotropic filtering, etc.) or set them on the lowest setting to get better fps, and to avoid stuttering in single player mode. I bought an external CRT monitor yesterday, and was able to play COD4's single player missions (like Charlie don't surf and War Pig) without any stutter whatsoever, at 1280 x 960 resolution @ 90 Hz. On a CRT monitor, it looked at that resolution even better than at 1440 x900 on my MBP's LCD monitor--and without all the lag and frame-stuttering. On multiplayer it was smooth as silk, except on laggy servers.

It's been ages since I played Blitzkrieg and B:BH, so I can't immediately give instructions on what you need to do. But I found some notes that I jotted down for configuring the game. First, in Windows click on Blitzkrieg icon, then right-click Properties, click on Compatibility, and then click on Windows 95 (yes, even though you have WinXP--it's that old after all). In my notes I also see that CPU speed needs to be set to 1. Turn off speedstep setting completely (speedstep is in System Bios), or Power Applet in Control Panel, Always ON option (I think to do this you right-click on the Blitzkrieg icon on your desktop>click Properties>click Screen Saver>Power Button>Change to ALWAYS ON.

If this doesn't work to stop the freezing, let me know and I will re-install Blitzkrieg in my XP partition, and report my steps and configurations back to you.

Alternatively, you can buy Blitzkrieg for Mac:

http://macgamestore.com/detail.php?ProductID=920

Good luck!