Games?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by friedkimchi, Aug 13, 2011.

1. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

Hi, can everyone share what games they have got running on their macbook air? FPS would be very helpful too.
    Also include if game is running on OSX or via bootcamp / VMware.

Torn between the 2011 and 2010 model. Both 13'', 256GB, 4GB ram

Rounding up for easier calculation:
    2011: A$1850 , 1.8 GHz i7, LION
    2010: A$1550 , 2.13 GHz C2D, SNOW LEOPARD

I'm currently using a black macbook, 2.16 GHz C2D, 4GB ram, 500GB hdd, LEOPARD.
    I would love to play L4D2, BF2, COD, Fifa, Madden since my black macbook can't.

I haven't played such games in over 4 years? I think its time I reward myself once in a while.

Main uses: Web surfing, MS Word/Powerpoint, Adobe Reader, occasional Photoshop, itunes, occasionally playing DOTA over LAN with friends through VMware (very laggy)

I don't have a desktop/iMac. No intention of getting one either. Looking to make the air my main laptop for the next 2 years of university.

First post! =)

2. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Pulling up graphics card comparison charts to the games you mentioned from http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html

Also if you plan on gaming through bootcamp/VMware then the drivers for the 320m are much better.

Attached Files:

3. MrKaji macrumors newbie

4. friedkimchi thread starter macrumors regular

friedkimchi

Yup i looked at that link beforehand. But isn't that more for the HD3000 used in the macbook pros?

I read that the Macbook air was using a lower clocked HD3000 than the macbook pro? So not really a true indication.

I know that that the 320M is better than HD 3000 but I would like to get other macbook air owners experience of gaming.

5. steve dave macrumors 6502a

Then there are a lot of threads already discussing this.

6. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Well I don't play your games, but the games I do play the 2010 has performed better then the 2011 I had.

The real difference between the 2010 and 2011 models based on these uses is in Photoshop. You will see a seconds shaved off of filter effects and what not. Other then that both will run the same in the rest of the programs.

7. friedkimchi thread starter macrumors regular

friedkimchi

I looked through the first 5 pages in the Macbook Air sub section. Didn't get enough information. Hence I decided to ask the question myself.

Could you list down the games you play? FPS will be very helpful!

:)

8. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

First picture in a pair is 2010 and the second in the pair is of the 2011. FPS is in the bottom right corner.

Attached Files:

9. BluePotato macrumors member

Here are the games I play regularly on my 2010 MBA:
    • Portal
    • Left for Dead
    • Torchlight
    • Civilization IV
    • PokerTH (Open Source Texas Hold 'Em)
    • Braid
    • Half Life 2
    • Trine

They all run great. I wouldn't waste my hard drive space with a game that yields poor FPS. For example, I had Assassins Creed 2 and Splinter Cell Conviction installed from Steam but their framerates were unplayable. I also had Civilization V from Steam installed, but its performance suffers also, so I removed it.

10. friedkimchi thread starter macrumors regular

friedkimchi

Nice pictures and real world usage Oppressed, and I share the same views BluePotato! Not that I have many games in my macbook anyway...

Now would more users who owns the i5/i7 macbook air share their gaming experiences?

I really don't mind if all the settings are at low/lowest. I rather have the chance to game with my friends.