Games.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ERIC273, Oct 16, 2013.

1. ERIC273 macrumors 6502

I have the late 2012 MBP with 8gbs of ram, and an SSD, with the intel integrated gfx 4000 and I find Team Fortress 2, and similar games run terribly at times (low FPS) (my computer will heat up really bad.).
    Oddly enough, my computer will even heat up from things like Minecraft.

Any suggestions on settings I could tweak to stop stuff like this?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Nothing. You are pushing a crappy integrated GPU to it's limits. Things are going to get hot in there. I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting out of an Intel HD4000.

3. Network33 macrumors member

Network33

I could play TF2 fairly well on my 2012 mac mini, with the HD4000. Lots of Mann vs Machine.

what resolution are you playing at? You should be able to play at 1280x800 (native res) at lower setting. if not try 1024x768.

Turn off Anti-aliasing (AA) and anisotropic filtering (AF) set the filtering to Tri-linear. The big performance hits come from Shadows, Shader Detail and Effect detail.

8GB of ram is plenty

4. yangchewren macrumors regular

If it's thermal throttling there is little you can do. I doubt that power throttling occurs on non-ULV parts. But you can go into windows power settings and turn off turboboost (leave the max processor state at 100%).

If you playing source engine games on Mac OSX, just forget about it, the game producers have not optimized the engine nor has the manufacturer updated the drivers since the snow leopard update...

5. ERIC273 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh. I'm so sorry I was asking for comparison.