GameStop selling refurb MacBooks NOW!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JAYBEATS23, May 12, 2012.

1. JAYBEATS23 macrumors newbie

Your local GameStop is preparing to begin selling… used Apple computers? A screenshot acquired by Kotaku suggests the video game retailer — the company also sells used mobile devices in addition to gaming consoles, making this move less surprising — is taking one step closer to becoming a full-blown electronics pawn shop.

The internal inventory screenshot displays a wide range of MacBooks in Apple’s product line up, including an 1.4GHz 11-inch MacBook Air for $749 and a 2.4GHz 17-inch MacBook Pro for $2,099. The consensus around the Web seems to be that the listed prices are likely just placeholders — Apple currently lists a refurbished 1.4GHz 11-inch Air for $699.

GameStop has yet to comment on the story officially, so be on the look out for any used MacBooks kicking around your local retailer.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/companies/apple/macs/inventory-screenshot-suggests-gamestop-to-start-selling-used-macbooks/

I want that air. Now I got at least $300 worth of trade ins in my room.

2. Laco macrumors 6502

Refurbished from Apple and used are very different things.

3. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Very good point. I think I'd prefer the refurb from Apple with the associated warranty. At this rate you'll soon be able to purchase a Mac virtually anywhere.

I'd like a Whopper with cheese, a large fry, a medium coke, and a MBP to go.

4. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Yeah. I'd stick with refurbs. Used things from GameStop haven't faired too well for me in the past.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have no problem buying a refurb from Apple
    But I would seriously balk at this and rethink my strategy

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

No worse than ebay. They'd just need to hit the right price to attract buyers.

7. JAYBEATS23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly and GameStop refurbs/used have 90 day warranty with optional 1-2 year warranties.If they can beat apples refurb prices by $100 or better. Why not give this a look.

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Saving $100 isn't worth it if the computer you bought craps out after the 3-month warranty is up. You'd probably end up spending more than $100 on an extended warranty if you decided to go that route. If it has problems within that 90 days, who fixes it, how long does it take and how good of a job will they do?

I'd much rather stick with an Apple refurb and get the 1 year warranty. Sometimes having the assurance that your computer will be functional is worth a little extra cash.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You could always look into something like a Square Trade warranty, although I've never used it. I am not sure how much cheaper it would need to be. My point was that people sell their used macbooks all the time with no warranty for the receiving party. I can't believe how much people on here have mentioned getting for macbooks and imacs that are several years old. I don't personally like buying used electronics from a private party. In the case of something like this, I could at least stress test it. I'm aware that most buyers wouldn't think of or know how to do this.

10. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

I wouldnt count this out as a bad idea just yet.

If it is less than the refurbs, that is good. They should be less than the refurbs.
    Not more, because Apple Refurbs are always better than Used.
    However, I would find this ALOT better than a computer from eBay.
    I mean, wouldnt you rather get a computer from GameStop with a warranty, than from a stranger on ebay?

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I don't even buy video games from GameStop let alone a computer.

12. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Do you buy ANYTHING there?

13. danny_w macrumors 601

After I found that they don't accept returns I would never buy another piece of electronics from them. Best Buy, Fry's, Target, Walmart, will all take back an Xbox (new) within a return period, but not Gamestop. I did buy an Xbox from them once but never again.

14. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

You can only return the software at those stores if the game hasn't been opened. At least that's how it works at Wal-Mart. They can't let you return opened games.

15. danny_w macrumors 601

I'm talking about the console, not the games.

16. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Oh... screw that! That's stupid and doesn't make sense. I'm not a big GameStop fan anyway. I brought in 8 games once to get some dough for another game and they wanted to give me 7 dollars. Meanwhile, I'm staring at all my games on the shelf being sold for 30 dollars used. I left and sold them on eBay instead for 50 bucks.

17. OSXjamel macrumors newbie

Are the the all white ones or the silver and black ones