GameStop: Will Verizon iPhone 6s Work With T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AmazingTechGeek, May 26, 2017.

1. AmazingTechGeek macrumors 6502

AmazingTechGeek

I want to get my dad a refurbished iPhone 6s. GameStop doesn't have a T-Mobile version. Will the Verizon model work with T-Mobile? Thanks?

2. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

3. Xenden macrumors regular

I can guarantee it will work. I took 2 7 plus iPhones and 2 6 plus iPhones from Verizon to T-Mobile. The switch over is extremely easy.

4. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

It will work and work great.

Previously I had a Verizon 6S Plus on my TMobile plan and now I have a Verizon iPhone 7 on T-Mobile which also works great.

5. adam9c1 macrumors 68000

adam9c1

Any unlocking required?

I see deals for SE on boost etc, will that work on tmo?

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

No unlocking needed for Verizon iPhones as they are factory unlocked already.

7. maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

Yes. Verizon phones are GSM unlocked by default
    The Verizon one you don't, for the Boost one you do need to unlock.

8. vbctv macrumors 6502

vbctv

All VZW phones are GSM unlocked, the only question is Band 12, some of VZW phones have it locked. I'm not sure about the iPhone though...

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Boost and Verizon devices are not the same.
    Boost needs unlocking. Verizon LTE devices do not.

10. AmazingTechGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

AmazingTechGeek

11. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I seen this and it made me think of a funny story from last weekend.

I had to set up a genius bar appointment at my local Apple store because my iPhone 7 was going bonkers on me. I get to the appointment and the genius comes to me and asks me if I can get the phone to show him the issue. I said well it does it when it wants but I'll try... I start open and closing apps and doing the stuff that was making my phone do the rebooting and going g through it's weird motions and finally the phone does it and goes into a constant reboot loop for a good 5-10 minutes. So he's like I see the phone has a hardware issue so I'm going to switch it out. I tell him my phone's unlocked and wanted to be sure I got the same unlocked phone he said sure it's like for like...

Long story short the genius comes back with the phone and says this is a Verizon model so you're gonna have to take it to Verizon to unlock it to use with your sim ... So stunned for a moment I said All Verizon LTE devices come out of the box unlocked since 2012 and he said are you sure? I said I'm about 99.9% sure. He said well I just wanted you to know that if we put your sim in and it doesn't work you'll have to go to Verizon. I said ok bro, but it will work.. so he was sure it wouldn't work ... Of course the sim goes in and the phone activates...

Moral is that someway somehow Apple geniuses don't knowVerizon LTE devices come unlocked?

That's a WOW to me

12. AmazingTechGeek, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017

AmazingTechGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

AmazingTechGeek

What carrier sim did you use?

13. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I'm absolutely not trying to talk down to the genius bar, as I think it's a great service Apple offers. However, I think the employees could definitely use more training. A friend of mine went in today with an iPhone 6 that wouldn't turn on and they proclaimed it dead on the spot and offered a $300 replacement. She brought it to me and I just did a power+home reset and it booted up just fine. Absolutely incredible they didn't bother with this basic troubleshooting step.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, could be that they didn't know, but could be that they just didn't bother with it just to get things moving along and/or because the employee didn't really care that much one way or another.

15. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

T-Mobile