Gaming accessories, is it that hard?!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by A4Mania, Oct 4, 2010.

1. A4Mania macrumors newbie

We've heard endless people complain of the lack of hardware buttons, controller, tactile feedbacks, etc. on Apple's mobile devices. We've also seen endless ads with Apple advertising iPod Touches and iPhones as the ultimate gaming experience...or is it, hmm...We've even saw Steve demonstrate the capability of inputing data through the 30-pin connector back at the iOS 3.0 launch keynote where he demonstrated using a diabetic glucose monitor. It still leaves me scratching my head, why of all the thousands of iDevice accessories being sold, there still isn't one single gaming accessory being found(for non-jailbroken devices). Manufacturers could've easily make a gaming controller adapter of some sort where you simply plug in your iPhone or what not and start using the hardware buttons so many users wished for shaped sort of like the psp with the slot in the middle to fit the iPhone, concepts very similar to the Belkin 'JoyPod'. I've seen them on sale(not the Belkin ones) for jailbroken phones which only means one thing, Apple won't endorse it or support it software wise. Why, Apple?!? Is Steve really that much of a control freak?...err, that is a rhetorical question.

2. TylerDurden33 macrumors member

it's pretty simple. Yes, he's a control freak. But it's also bad business for them. They don't want any part of their operation to become dependent upon a third party device. And them creating an add-on device will show that the phone itself is not good enough for what they stated it's purpose is. They took away buttons because they didn't need them, because of the touch screen experience. Adding them would be a step backward.

3. A4Mania thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand your point, but Apple should stop choosing for their customers, they don't have to take a step backward really, adding a hardware controller is basically giving it's customer base more options to choose from which should in turn give Apple a positive publicity rather than a negative one. It'll will at least show us that Apple care about our opinions. They don't have to sacrifice their dependencies either, they still hold control over the software aspect of any third party accessories and without software, hardwares are useless. There's so many path Apple can take to make their products so much better, efficient and interconnected. I just don't get them. Hell they can even design their own innovative gaming add-ons and make it look as if they bring buttons back for better reasons if they're really that concerned about their image.