Price Advice Gaming Computer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adamvk, Nov 16, 2011.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Question,

I'm considering unloading my gaming computer since I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would, mostly because I don't have time for gaming. Anyways my possible plan was to sell that, and if Apple releases a new 15" MBA, sell my MBP and buy a top of the line model.

Anywho, do you think it would be fair to sell it for $750?

Antec 300 case
    Intel Core i5 (newest ones) 3GHZ
    8GB G.Skill ram @ 1600MHZ
    1TB Samsung HDD
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
    EVGA 460 Superclocked
    600W Corsair PSU

2. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Trying to get price advice for a Windows computer in a Mac forum may not be the sharpest idea. :)

Search eBay for similar configurations to get a good idea. I would start a search on "i5" and "windows 7".

3. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

You can ask $750, but I don't think you will get it.

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Go to a gaming forum. No one here has a clue. We use Macs for other things.

5. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

It's all about what someone is willing to pay for, not how much we think we should get for it. Computers are like cars, they take a big hit in terms of depreciation. Wintel machines take bigger hits because there are so many on the market. Add up how much you paid and subtract 20% and that is your starting price.

6. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

highly doubt it doesn't look like a very high spec computer you havre there also what did it cost you to build i doubt more then 700 not to mention now that iota used and build your owns don't have warranties i wouldn't buy it for 750 (then again I'm an iMac user so i would buy it at all ;) )

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Going by the parts you'll probably $600. I tried selling new custom builds five or six years ago and it was nearly impossible to get the full retail price of parts. This was when there was still a good market for desktops. I also had a resellers license and was offering a warranty.

The quality of the case and PSU don't matter to most any buyer. They will just look at what the cheapest PSUs and cases cost and base those values on that. Whether it has a valid licensed copy of Windows, Linux or no OS installed does not have any real effect on the price.

Being used and with no comprehensive warranty will ding the price at least $100. Individual parts warranties don't matter as the buyers likely do not know how to nor want to pull parts from a computer. Otherwise they would be building their own rig.

You'll make as much on eBay or Craigslist. EBay's higher selling price will be offset by auction and Paypal fees. At least with Craigslist you'll get cash and not have to worry about fraudulent Paypal claims.

Craigslist buyers will need to come to your house to test it though unlike a laptop. Just give your phone number in the ad. Serious buyers will call, though you'll get a bunch of foreigners trying to low ball you. Don't bother leaving an e-mail address you'll just get a bunch of spam, scams and non-serious buyers trying to pay your $200.

Start at $750, be detailed and take and post great pictures (lighting, the item only, attractive angles). Also provide a link to high res images through some free picture host, like photobucket. If no one calls drop the price $25 every two days and delete the old ad so people don't realize you've been dropping the price. Once you hit the right price your phone will ring off the hook. Your best hope is that you will get an old guy looking for a good solid hand built computer. This will get the closest to $750.

8. adamvk, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Sweet, thanks for the advice!

Thank you everyone else as well. I will try starting at $750, we'll see how it goes. I built it this summer for around $850.