Gaming Controller for rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TofSanity, Jan 6, 2016.

1. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

Hello, I have a 2012 15" rMBP and I am wondering what gaming controller I can use to play games. Thanks T

2. killawat macrumors 65816

3. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I use the PS3 controller as well (DualShock 3). Pairs easily via bluetooth.

4. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

I use a Logitech F310. I had a lot of trouble with my bluetooth controllers staying synced and the 310 fixed that. Plus no batteries! I've heard good things about the Logitech F710 as well but not tried it.

One thing I like about this gamepad is that it supports both XInput and DInput. Unfortunately, OS X doesn't have XInput support yet but it works awesome on Windows, just like a 360/Xbox One controller!

5. Aneef macrumors regular

Aneef

So F310 can't be used on OS X? I'm thinking of getting my brother F310/F710 for his birthday

6. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

No, it can. You just switch it to DInput (slider on the back)

Make sure it is set to D and plug it in. If you try to switch it back and forth while plugged in OS X won't read it. I use it on OS X with OpenEmu. It's awesome.

7. Aneef macrumors regular

Aneef

T
    Thanks for your input. Also tell me if the bluetooth model would create any problem? or should I get the wired one?

8. AAtte macrumors newbie

Dualshock 4 (PS4 controller) works 100%. No need for tricks. Buy it and game on!

9. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

Well I haven't tried the F710, like I said I stayed away with it because I was having issues with bluetooth on my PS3 controller.

You don't really need a "trick" to use the F310, it has two different modes on purpose to have as much plug and play compatibility as possible. If switching it to DInput is a "trick" then so is turning on a PS3 controller lol.

10. redshifted macrumors regular

redshifted

Thanks for this reply. I can verify that this is true based on trying to get an F310 to work on my kids' rMBPs yesterday. I made the mistake of toggling between X and D and the MBPs stopped recognizing the controller until a reboot. Used D mode exclusively and all is well. OpenEmu games work and so do various Steam games the kids play. Awesome indeed for a $17 game controller :cool:.

11. Acronyc macrumors 6502

I have the same MBP and I've been using a wired XBOX 360 controller for a long time. Works great. I just started trying out the Steam controller and while its finicky for some games it works really awesome in others.