Gaming Controller?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skysailing, Jan 27, 2013.

1. skysailing macrumors regular

skysailing

Anybody know of any excellent (AND EASILY COMPATIBLE) gaming controller for the Retina MacBook Pro playing games through boot camp?

2. skysailing thread starter macrumors regular

skysailing

Also, If I wanted to use some regular PS3 Controller, It doesn't have to be previously paired with a PS3 does it?

3. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

If you're using boot camp, you just need to install Motioninjoy and emulate your PS3 controller as a 360 one and you're good to go. I play FIFA a lot on my rMBP running Windows and it works perfectly. Only tested it connected through USB btw.

4. skysailing thread starter macrumors regular

skysailing

I see.
    So basically I cannot use a regular controller (purchased from Amazon) and just use the USB and be good to go?

5. dastinger, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I didn't say you can't use a regular controller. You should be able to use it because Windows running under Boot Camp is Windows anyway. If it works on a PC, it works on a Mac running Windows. I just told you about the PS3 controller cause you asked about it. And yes, buy the PS3 controller, connect it, let it install the drivers, download Motioninjoy, Load the Drivers inside the app (you'll see how to do it) and then emulate it as a 360 controller. You're good to go. If you need any assistance doing it, just ask (be sure you quote my post so I get notified).

Oh and, btw, Motioninjoy needs an available internet connection to work (don't ask me why). If you want an offline version, search on Google and it will lead you to their forums.

6. skysailing thread starter macrumors regular

skysailing

I feel so stupid, but I have never done anything like this before.
    My plan was to just go onto Amazon and buy this: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-D...troller-Black-3/dp/B0015AARJI/ref=pd_sim_vg_3
    with:
    http://www.amazon.com/Controller-Charge-Cable-Black-Foot-PC/dp/B000NNSCSQ
    Then, I planned on connecting it to the USB drive on the Retina and playing it.

I have no idea about drivers for a controller.

Thank You so much for helping me.

7. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

As I've told you.. you can do this without any issue but I assume that you want to play games under Windows, right? So, after connecting the Dualshock through USB and having installed Motioninjoy, open the app, go into Driver Manager. Select the only port you'll have available and click Load. Wait for the driver installation to complete.

Then go back to profiles and make sure that, under 'Connected game controllers' you can find the Dualshock. Then select 'Xbox 360 controller emulator'. Then hit 'Enable', try the vibration testing. If it vibrates, probably, all went well and you're able to play any game that supports a 360 controller. That's it.

Btw, this is probably doable using Bluetooth but, since I've never tried it, I can't help you.

If you need any help, just let me know ;)

8. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Just a tip for the cable. Any regular USB to 5-pin (mini USB) cable will work. Don't pay extra for a PS3 branded one. This one from monoprice is less than $1.

9. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Didn't notice the cable. Yes, $6 is a rip-off for such cable.

Oh, and just to add, everytime you want to play, you need Motioninjoy running but you'll only have to hit 'Enable' (supposing that the Xbox 360 emulator option is selected).

10. skysailing thread starter macrumors regular

skysailing

AH, understand now.
    Was a little confused about drivers, but it's all in one program so that should be absolutely fine.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

----------

Awe.some.
    Thanks for the link

11. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

I use a Playstation controller on mine mainly for Need For Speed.

12. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

If you want simple plug and play and have the money just get a wired 360 controller. Works with everything, no emulation required in Windows.

13. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Yes, the 360 wired controller is still the best option unless you actually prefer Dualshock. I own a PS3 so I use Dualshock but a friend of mine lended me his 360's controller and I have been using it. Quite like it.