Gaming experience eliminated?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alexwei, Mar 9, 2015.

1. alexwei macrumors regular

I guess if I'm going to buy one, I'll have to give up gaming on my laptop. :mad::mad::mad:

Thoughts anyone?

2. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

It's up to you to experience it, but Core M and high-res screens.. it's not looking good on the gaming side.

3. Serban Suspended

no, the problem is Apple could put the same HD6000 from Macbook Air...not that ridiculous HD5300 which is on par with HD4000..so you can't game even at 900p or do some video ed

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

It's slower than the 2012 macbook air. So, unless you're running an older game, it's not going to work well.

5. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

Remember when EA promised they would bring games to Mac users on Day 1? That sure lasted all of 6 months.

I miss powerpc, at least that forced apple to use Dedicated Graphics in all of their products.

6. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

You will most likely be able to run some casual, old and/or not very demanding games.

Gaming on a laptop is still an oxymoron though.

7. Nozuka macrumors 65816

they can't just replace it, the graphics unit is part of the CPU. if they switch the CPU they can not go with a fanless design and will also loose battery runtime.

8. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

The MacBook is clearly not designed for gaming at all. As said above, you could run some old less demanding games on this machine, but why on earth would you want to?

9. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

Just separate gaming from work/miscellaneous stuff.

I used to game a lot on my desktop, so when I switched to a laptop, I bought a gaming model. Not cheap, and still inferior to a gaming desktop. A couple years later it was time to replace the laptop and I faced the decision whether to drop $2000+ again or change my gaming habits. I opted for the latter, bought a slightly cheaper laptop and moved the majority of my gaming to the Vita, 3DS, and iPad.

Not only does that get me away from the computer a bit more often, it is also more free from distractions. The downsides are that the type of games are different and that multiplayer stuff isn't as pronounced. But if I were into genres that are not well represented on the mobile devices, I'd have bought a giant TV set (I have no TV -- no need) and a home console, probably a PS3 or PS4.

I still need a juicier CPU than what the new Macbook offers, but that's for work and other stuff, not because of gaming.

10. Devie macrumors 6502a

I think they should have put a 980m in there. Plenty of room left, I saw the open chasis shot in the keynote. Could put it under the trackpad

11. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

Actually they could fit two in SLI, but all Apple wants is our money, so they didn't.

12. BrettApple, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015

BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Then they would have to include a USB-C to external fan adapter or make you buy it for an additional $80. Lol.

But really, for simple or older games it should be alright. But it may throttle the heck out of it. I'd say it's possible if developers wanted to. Even my old iPod touch had some decent looking games with a fraction of the power.

I have fond memories of playing games on my Late 2008 MacBook with the GeForce 9400m. It played TF2, Portal 2, Call of Duty 4, Burnout Paradise and more perfectly fine. But those are older games. The last thing I tried running on it before I sold it to my brother was probably Dishonored. It wanted to run but wasn't really playable. Crisis on the other hand ran on low :D Some guy on YouTube ran Crisis 3 on the MacBook Air a couple years back too.

So it could be done I'm sure. But throttling would be it's downfall. Just get a console or something. Or grab the MBP. For example, my truck is fast when it needs to be, in a straight line. But it isn't a sports car and I can't expect it to handle like a BRZ when it's 6,000 pounds (though it's faster 0-60 than a BRZ :rolleyes:). It does what it is designed to do though, and it'll pull our 9,800 lb tractor and plow through snow like nobody's business.

Edit: This would be perfect for it!
    [​IMG]

13. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Boiling hot trackpad's could be all the rage.

14. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

On a fanless machine, that would just throttle the CPU and eventually reach a thermal shutdown before you get far in your game.

15. brand macrumors 601

brand

I didn't realize that you were part of the engineering team that designed the logic board on the new Mac Book.