Gaming experience on late 2009 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rze89, Jan 3, 2012.

1. rze89, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

rze89 macrumors newbie

Like the title says, this post is regarding gaming, more specifically Starcraft 2, on a late 2009 15' Macbook Pro.

In the recent years I havn't expected to be able to run games at high video settings and expect flawless gameplay. But the issue now is that my MBP is stuttering and slowing down considerably even at the lowest possible video settings while I play Starcraft 2.

Now before the bashing begins, I do understand Macbook Pros aren't designed for gaming and I don't have anything else open while playing SC2 except for skype. But I'm seeking a solution that would allow me to run the game smoothly at low settings and allow me to enjoy the game without horrible fps and stuttering.

Before I go, I do need to clarify that I do not know much about MBP's hardware so I wouldn't know exactly what all specs I need to give in order to come up with a solution to my problem, so I'll go ahead and link them all.

Link to specs: http://support.apple.com/kb/sp544
    Link to SC2 minimum reqs: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/starcraft-ii-system-requirements

I've done some reading and some people have suggested adding more RAM and/or wiping the hard drive and starting fresh.

But to be clear, I'm not trying to run things at high settings, I'm just trying to be able to run the game at low settings and have smooth fps. Thank you

TLDR;My MBP is running slow and the fps is getting increasingly worse while trying to play Starcraft 2. Looking for solution to run game on low video settings but have smooth FPS and gameplay

2. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

The MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) shipped in three configurations: 2.53 GHz/4 GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce 9400M/250 GB HD/$1699, 2.66 GHz/4 GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT/256 MB VRAM/320 GB HD/$1999, 2.8 GHz/4 GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT/512 MB VRAM/500 GB HD/$2299.

Open "About This Mac" to check the specs. Which of the mid/late 2009 15" MBP models do you have? I'm assuming the low-end if you're having frame-rate issues, as it only has low-powered integrated graphics. The 9400M graphics are well below spec for SC2, it is the basis of nvidia's ion netbook platform from 2008. I'm currently running with the same graphics, so I feel your pain.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Adding more RAM is the least painful thing to try, and you'd probably benefit in other apps if it doesn't help with SC2. After that try a reinstall.

4. rze89 thread starter macrumors newbie

My specs are in the quote. Yeah it's not exactly too fun not being limited in regards to what I can play. But that's too be expected the older my computer gets. Just looking for a simple solution to make it bearable.