Gaming: G51 or Arrandale?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sgrrsh26, Aug 23, 2009.

1. sgrrsh26 macrumors 6502

I love the macbook pro i really do, but it just doesnt have enough power to do what i want it to. Im currently looking at the G51vx-A1, although the heating issues bother me.

What im asking is, should i go with that laptop, as i will be doing a lot of gaming, Or if i wait for Arrandale, do you think it will be able to outperform that laptop?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

By the time Arrandale is released, it's not just Apple's laptops that will have it. Other laptops will have Arrandale as well.

There will always be something faster than a MBP, especially for gaming. That won't change with the release of Arrandale. Whether you think that's important or not is up to you.

3. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

macs arnt gaming platforms. Seems hard for everyone to believe

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The question of whether you need a laptop or a desktop for gaming is not something that we could ever answer. I would suggest getting a regular notebook and then a gaming PC. A 13" MacBook (Pro) and a decent gaming rig would run you less then a high-end MacBook Pro and solve the gaming needs much better.

5. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Your best bet is to keep your mbp for daily task and for browsing the web. Then either build yourself a desktop gaming machine (cheapest route) or rather than going with asus or Dell try out digitalstormpc.com.

Pc laptops for gaming are commonly known to be at least 10 pounds only about an hour of battery life and over 2" thick. The best performence for your dollar would be to get a desktop.

6. Gypwag macrumors newbie

What games are you interested in playing? I will buy a MBP sometime in the next year, the only thing that has kept me from buying one is the 9600. It is just not a good enough video card IMO, even more so for the 17" MBP.

I hope with the next update Apple comes out with a better card, from what I have read it seems so. I am wishing for a 1024 video card in the 17" MBP, or hell, even a decent 512 such as the 260M. If that happens my money will be out of my account in the blink of an eye. All I want is to play up coming games such as SC2 and D3 on high settings, which should be a easy feat with a better GPU.

7. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

don't count on that at all. The 9600 gt gets hot enough (trust me). If apple were to update the card RIGHT now they would go with the gt 120m. It's the succesor to the 9600 gt. The 260m only fits into notebooks around 2" or more which is more than twice the thickness of a mbp.

Sorry to rain on your parade

8. Gypwag macrumors newbie

Better not be a 120M, that is not an improvement but a side step. I forgot about the thickness of the MBP, but there are better options out there. I just hope for something a bit better than the 9600.

9. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I agree, the MBP isn't not your average gaming machine. It might run some games nicely but not without the fan flowing full blast and the laptop getting scorching hot.