Gaming Hardware Maker Razer Teases Smartphone Announcement Coming November 1

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Razer this week has Tweeted a teaser image for what appears to be a handheld device, with speculation circling that the image hints at the company's announcement of its first smartphone. Razer said that the official debut of the product will happen on November 1, calling the device reveal its "biggest unveiling" yet (via 9to5Google).

[​IMG]

The new teaser image emphasizes the word "Watch," and includes a collection of background screenshots of what appear to be clips from various video games. Razer is mostly known for its gaming laptops and PCs, but the company did launch a handheld product a few years back called the Razer Edge Pro that attempted to merge high-end PC gaming in the form of a portable tablet device.

Earlier this year Razer acquired smartphone company Nextbit, sparking the first rumors that the gaming hardware maker could be interested in building a dedicated smartphone for its users. A report by Bloomberg over the summer further cemented these rumors, stating that Razer was planning to develop a "mobile device tailored for its consumer base of hardcore gamers."

Razer invites those interested to visit its website and sign up for updates about the announcement ahead of the November 1 product unveiling.

Article Link: Gaming Hardware Maker Razer Teases Smartphone Announcement Coming November 1

2. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

Looks like an nVidia Shield style device to me.

3. Taipan macrumors 6502

The display is probably going to be tinted all in blue.

4. robeddie, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

robeddie macrumors 68000

robeddie

Watch, they're going to jump on this trend for stupidly huge phone devices just when people start to realize how annoying it is to have a 6.5 inch screen theyre always fumbling with, and the trend moves back to more compact devices.

5. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

Welcome to a device that will soon join the club of the N-Gage!

6. KrispE00 macrumors member

Orrrrr...it’s a watch. That thing he’s holding is a book with a book light (to throw you off). The ultimate gaming watch. 1.5in UHD screen.

7. adamjackson macrumors 65816

I don't care about new smartphones these days. What I want is a new platform to truly compete with iOS and Android that works really well and cares deeply about privacy and tracking. Apple cares yes, but they're a for-profit company and they are already using our data to improve the OS. Even if they don't sell our data.

8. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Don't expect privacy at no cost. Either pay for privacy (iOS) or save money at expense of your privacy (Android).

No company is going to avoid making profit just to please their clients.

9. Nozuka macrumors 68000

you can disable that.

10. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

I don't expect this to have any legs. I'm prepared to be proven wrong but I expect little from this.

11. Sharkbait0000 macrumors newbie

Sharkbait0000

That’s what the Nintendo Switch is.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 12, 2017 ---
    I think they’ve tried gaming pc tablet before and it failed.

12. samden macrumors member

samden

I think it has potential. A Razer phone would probably fare better than something by Xaomi or Huawei (and maybe even OnePlus) since they are Chinese brands that are really only known by mobile enthusiasts. Plus Razer is already well known in the US and has a pretty loyal fanbase.

A phone is more likely to be successful than a tablet as it has a much larger audience.

13. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I don’t know. It still seems like it set up to fail. It feels next to impossible to knock Apple/Samsung from the top as these two have been industry incumbents of the modern smartphone. A gaming phone would only attract people if it has games better than what iOS/Android already have. I’m sure we can play the same games that Razer announces on our existing iOS/Android devices. There really wouldn’t be much of a differentiation.

14. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

RGB actually :p

Yeah I was thinking it would be a watch too. Smartphone seems dumb. Expensive and lots of competitors. The android smartwatch market is much more penetrable, since they're all somewhat mediocre.

The one thing none of them can crack right now, I think, is the bezels around devices. Especially with the circle design. As much as I hate how the :apple:watch looks, it does a pretty good job of making the bezels disappear around the screen.

Whenever the next phase of smartwatches comes around (1-3 years maybe?) bezels should be easier to eliminate, without a flat tire, or chunky design.

15. robeddie macrumors 68000

robeddie

A gaming watch. If so, may easily win the prize for dumbest product of the decade.

16. Dan From Canada macrumors member

If Razers track record when it comes to supporting their peripherals with the Mac OS is any indication I will be staying miles and miles away from their new product.

Their technical support is non-existent for gaming mice on mac but they continue to sell them. I wonder what their support will be like with the new product? Hmmmmm?

17. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Yep, can't see how everybody's missing this - they're about to announce the first high-performance, liquid-cooled gaming watch.

It'll be able to play Snake and Tetris at a glorious 240hz refresh rate.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 12, 2017 ---
    So, a phone running Windows 10 and Steam, then?

18. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

It's all about the specs. They know what to focus on, and not focus on.

Keyboards and mice are always going to have limited issues with connectivity due to different computer drivers, operating systems, etc. As long as their QA for manufacturing is good, then it's not a big deal. If you look at Amazon reviews, the good experiences will outweigh the bad.

19. lunarworks macrumors 6502a

20. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Yep, actually, they're not using a normal screen, just a 64x128 matrix of half-watt RGB LEDs. Not much for resolution, but boy will the colors be pretty.

21. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

Yeah I have a feeling it's not a phone.

22. adamjackson macrumors 65816

I have everything disabled that I can except for location services and I only grant a handful of applications that privilege.

23. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Meh, they have a fair few misses with none PC hardware, they made an Android TV box that wasn’t too good, and a smart band that also wasn’t too good, sales wise I mean.
    Well have to see how this device fairs, trouble is like with those other two products the competition is fierce and huge.....

They make nice laptops though.

24. pika2000 macrumors 68030

It would probably be just an Android phone with some fancy skin that will be discontinued within a year.

25. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

Yup
    Yep, that's what I think.

But Razor believe in it, so it must be a success! :) (i.e. they'll sell about 10)