Gaming Hookup Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Progame13, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Progame13 macrumors newbie

I'm in a dorm room at college. We have a pretty strict security system, and all computers have to upload a cd first. This mean I can't plug my xbox 360 into the wall. Unfortunately, the website that tells me how to hook up to the internet says it doesn't work using a Mac. I think there's away around this and I want to know if any of you can help me so I don' have to use my roommates PC.

The website says I need to use an 802.1x connection. On my roommate's PC, we hook up one ethernet port to the computer, and then a USB to ethernet port adaptor to hook the xbox into. Anyone have any way to help me do this on a mac?

Here's the website with instructions for PC if it helps at all:
    http://www.dhnet.ufl.edu/getconnected/tutorials/wired/ics/

Thanks!
    (And sorry if this is in the wrong section.)

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Go to Sharing in the System Preferences, then enable "Internet-Sharing". "Share your connection from" needs to be set to the way your Mac is connected to the network (I assume "Ethernet"), in the list below enable whatever you use to connect the XBox to your Mac.

You might put some DNS settings into your XBox - I haven't read the tutorials on the website in detail, but principally the numbers you need should be found in System Preferences, Network, click on whatever you're using (Ethernet) and on "Advanced"...

3. Progame13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm... Well, now I get a DNS error on the 360 itself. Anything I can adjust on my mac to help fix this, or is this more of a 360 problem?