Gaming in Bootcamp 2.4 unibody- Hot Temp

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by handydandy, May 23, 2009.

1. handydandy macrumors newbie

just noticed that when i play Civ IV in windows xp bootcamp, it gets pretty hot, especially in the are of the cpu. i dont have a temp. measurer in xp, but from the touch, it feels similar to how hot it is when i watch HD flash (which is about 85 degrees celsius cpu) and the fans are on full blast.

granted, its not that graphics intensive, but it is cpu intensive since it is a strategy game.
    but does anyone else have heat problems with gaming, esp. in bootcamp? playing civ makes mine seem like its too hot.

oh, and does anyone know a program to measure cpu temp in XP?

2. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

if you install the nvidia tools there's an nvidia system monitor that lets you see GPU temp CPU temp also. These tools also let you overclock your CPU/GPU haha, which is what I've done. Other than that, yeah it will get hot no matter what. I just make sure I allow open access to the vents in the back when I game, and use SMCFan to make sure the fan minimum is at 4500rpm.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.02.html

found it.

You can also set it to have different profiles, where I can get it to downclock if the temps reach 90C or whatever, but with fans on full my temps don't go above 70C - according to the system monitor.