Gaming in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BlackLight, Jan 14, 2009.

1. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

Any one here have tested the gaming capabilities in Windows 7 . whats its like with the new directx 11.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The same as Vista since there isn't any new hardware out?

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I just realized the full impact of your avatar, Eidorian. Your character is in perpetual facepalm. :D

4. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Epic. :)

But yes, it's the same as Vista.

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

its not the same, there are a lot of games with graphical glitches and other strange issues, but those will probably be fixed with a driver made for Windows 7 instead of just using Vista drivers.

6. aluminumapple macrumors regular

Windows 7 is what vista should have been and what Directx 11 is should have been Directx 10. Dont get your hopes up.

7. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Windows 7 is an evolutionary release. So of course it's going to improve upon what Vista already bought upon the table. Windows XP is what Windows 98 "should have been," but you can't go back in time and retroactively make Windows 98 better than it what it was. And it's the same thing with Vista.

As for DirectX 11, it's the same thing. It's simply the next evolutionary stage over 10, which improved upon 9, etc. Game developers may or may not take full advantage of DirectX 11. It's their choice.

Snow Leopard, by the way, is what Leopard should have been from the start. ;)

8. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Im having a bit of an issue with Command and Conquer Generals in Windows 7. I have all drivers updated and Boot Camp 2.1

Windows Resolution: 1680 x 1050
    Command and Conquer: Generals + Zero Hour Resolution: 1400 x 1050

Any ideas on what I might try to get the resolution back to wide-screen? To give some comparison when I had WinXP the resolution worked just fine.

EDIT: outside of that, Generals run's really smoothly. Its wonderful to take advantage of my iMac for gaming, next up Counter-Strike Source :)

9. aluminumapple macrumors regular

your kidding right?

ok lets see the difference.
    first windows xp is what windows 98 should have been? where do you get this? At best windows 98 is what windows 2000 should have been and they have failed at that as well

Game developers have nothing to do with what directx is bringing upon the market its microsofts choice to expand there on the market if they choose to or not to and if you really closely look at it direct x 10 and direct x 11 has no huge improvements and neither does windows vista and "windows 7" other than bugs and glitches fix and "should" apparently work on any computer with any compatible OS.

Also snow leopard is what leopard should have been?

Snow leopard is Basically a Expansion pack
    Leopard By itself is Successful, there were no huge upgrades, there were no huge issues, no one had there computers shut down every 2 ****ing minutes. Snow leopard Actually brings something amazing and beautiful into the world of leopard Windows 7 is basically an UPDATER. There is no ****ing absolute difference other than the shiny objects and pretty lights. IN Honest truth snow leopard actually brings new objects into leopard and even without snow leopard is amazing on its own
    Windows Vista Was a FAILURE and most current companies such as Dell, Hp, Toshiba, Alienware are Constantly giving options to downgrade because of the POOR Performance of Vista.

Vista Cant Stand alone by itself and thats what microsoft realized and thats the whole reason why they are doing another project Right after vista. If you look at the timeline windows only came out with a new os every 4~6 years.

10. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Actually, on average, Microsoft has released a major OS upgrade every 2-3 years. If you begin with Windows 3 in 1990, 3.1 came in 1992. That was followed three years later with Windows 95. Another three years passed and we got Windows 98. Windows ME came in 2000, and XP followed just one year later, in 2001. XP was the exception. It lasted an unusually long time, around five years. Windows 7 is coming about 2-3 years after Vista, which falls back in line with the usual schedule of release.

11. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

[​IMG]

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Have you tried checking if there are any updated graphics card drivers on the windows update ?

I'm using the Nvidia drivers from Windows Update on my macpro and I haven't had any glitches or such in the games I play as yet.

Hopefully your driver will be updated sooner than later :)

13. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I did, but it said everything was updated. I am going to try uninstalling the drivers and then letting Windows reinstall them through Windows Update.

Overall, I still think it has been pretty neat to play with this OS. I am amazed at how polished this Beta has been.

14. h0mbre macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've sucesfully Boot Camped my iMac 27" quad core but Generals ZH won't start... could somebody give me some ideas how I can get my favorite game to load on my iMac. I'm suspecting its might be related to the iMAC's ATI Radon 4850 graphics card.

For reference I have the following hardware and failed attempts:

- iMAC 27" quad core, intel i5 CPU
    - Boot Camp 3.1
    - All driver updated through Apple Software Update
    - Generals & Generals Zero Hour v1.04
    - NoCD Image crack mounted by Daemon tools lite ( my orignal Disc1 of Zero Hour is broken and cannot be read by my computer
    - Windows 7 32-bit 6.1, Build 7600, DirectX11
    - DirectX9 not installed
    - Generals.exe (Zero Hour) file run as Admin and WinXP SP3 compatible

and the the game still won't go further than the Generals logo on my desktop..

thanks!

15. Keleko macrumors 68000

I'd update your video driver with ATI's driver. The ones supplied by Apple are not up to date at all.

16. h0mbre macrumors newbie

done already :) still no luck... still no joy