[GAMING] Is it worth to upgrade? from Snow Leopard to Mavericks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nikkei, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Nikkei macrumors newbie

This is my MAC pro (mid 2010):
    I see more and more games for 10.7 and 10.8 only, soon enough, people say september 10.9 will be out...for using gmail and facebook a change of OS is not really needed, but I'd like to game..

Is upgrading the solution?
    For running XCOM:Enemy Unknown minimum requirements
    so even if if upgrade my lame graphic card will stop me, because I don't have 8GB RAM!

if yes, to which system upgrade? is it worth waiting 10.9?
    maybe for gaming purposes 10.7 is actually better than 10.8, or there is no expectation that 10.9 will be worth waiting for gaming..

I hope you can help me make my mind!

2. Bear macrumors G3

You could always upgrade the memory in your computer.

Right now, I'd say 10.8 is better than 10.7 for games. I expect we will start to see games that only run on 10.8 and 10.9 shortly after Mavericks is out.

Over time, 10.9 will be better - it all depends on when you want to start playing games that won't run on 10.6

3. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Obviously if you want to play games that require a newer OS you should upgrade... Upgrading your ram shouldn't cost to much if you shop around a bit. Last December I upgraded the same computer you have to 8gb of ram for only $41.

That being said the 320m and core 2 duo is probably gonna start to struggle a bit with any new game (last year or so) especially under OSX**.

Waiting for Mavericks will save you $20. You can go straight from 10.6.x to 10.9 for whatever the upgrade cost ends up being instead of going from 10.6x to 10.8 for $20 and then spending even more when Mavericks comes out. Mavericks should have the best performance in general compared to SL, Lion, ML.

IMO I'd keep your eyes peeled for a deal on 8gb 4x2 ddr3 1066 ram and wait it out for Mavericks. Also if you spot a cheap ssd get that too, installing a SSD is such a huge upgrade, I can't even imagine going back to running my Macbook on the stock 5400hz HDD.

**If your serious about gaming on your macbook a better investment would be to buy a copy of Windows 7/8 and install that on your Macbook. If the game wasn't built from the ground up for OSX it generally runs much better on Windows 8 on the same machine also there is a metric gigaton more games available at this point for Windows.

4. Nikkei, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013

Nikkei thread starter macrumors newbie

so, beside the upgrade of OS X, I should upgrade either:
    A - RAM
    B - SSD

I cannot afford to do two or three of these upgrade, so which one of these has the best rate price/improvement?

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

All an SSD will do is help with load times. But you really aren't going to experience better game performance with either. OS X will use all the ram you can give it, though, and an SSD in general will make your Mac feel really fast.

Definitely upgrade your OS. Apple doesnt release graphics driver updates for older OSes. This is the main reason games start to require 10.7/10.8.

6. Bear macrumors G3

I'd say RAM before an SSD since you're seeing a game you want to play require 8GB on your system. And while other games say they'll run in 4GB, they'll actually run better with more RAM, especially if you keep other applications running at the same time.