Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

achonody

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
I have a gold MBA M1 base model in processing hopefully shipping soon. I am upgrading from a 2017 MB. I am excited about the power and possibilities of the m1 chip. I never have had a computer really with the ability to game on any level whatever so please bare with me. I used to play Nintendo when I was little, when there was only two buttons on the right side. I have Cerebral Palsy with normal if not almost use of one hand and extremely limited use of the other. I have become interested in some titles but wondering if the keystrokes/controls are too difficult for me to play. If you could give me an honest opinion I would appreciate it. also, some of these games I believe are in the Mac App store and/or Steam. Any difference in the game and content available?

Planet Coaster/Planet Zoo (Yes I know there is a Mac version of Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo is Windows only but I know you can run Parallels or Bootcamp)
Tomb Raider series-I was going to start with the first game.

What about classic games where people game with others around the world?
World of Warcraft, Over Watch, Fortnite, Counterstrike etc. i am unsure if these types of games interest me but would love to be able to give one or two a try to see if I like them. However, I am told the controls can be complicated? Are there demos of these games?

I am also an Amazon Prime Member which gives me access to Amazon Gaming. The free games that you get a month, do they give you Mac versions or is it PC only? Also, I am very interested in the one channel Twitch subscription a month. but in order to potentially play with that person during their stream don't you have to be on the same level of the game as they are? Or as long as you have the game, they give you a code to play in their room or something?

I have heard that the new M1 Macs have bluetooth issues. Will I be able to play gameplay audio through my HomePod?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
What about classic games where people game with others around the world?
World of Warcraft, Over Watch, Fortnite, Counterstrike etc. i am unsure if these types of games interest me but would love to be able to give one or two a try to see if I like them. However, I am told the controls can be complicated? Are there demos of these games?
WoW and CS:GO have Mac clients. I believe both are free-to-play so you should be able to visit their respective websites and download the Mac launcher. You can try them out to see if you can customize the controls to your liking.

Overwatch is Windows only but is also free-to-play.

Apple and Epic Games are in litigation. Apple kicked out Epic from both the Mac App Store and iOS App Store so you can't download and play Fortnite on your Mac nor iPhone.

I know League of Legends and EVE Online have Mac clients. Just visit the game's individual websites and see what they offer in terms of free play or demos.

Some other games have relatively few controls compared to the competitive games like CS:GO or Overwatch.

All of these are some of the most popular videogames on the planet and there are likely sizable community groups that are familiar with accessibility for each game. Check the games' individual support and fan forums for more specific guidance. This is not something you will get the answers to here at MacRumors.

I have zero knowledge about videogames from Amazon Prime. I'm guessing these would be covered in an appropriate FAQ in the Prime member support section.

Reactions: achonody

achonody

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Thank you for all your information, it is much appreciated. I will do my best and do further research.

WoW and CS:GO have Mac clients. I believe both are free-to-play so you should be able to visit their respective websites and download the Mac launcher. You can try them out to see if you can customize the controls to your liking.

Overwatch is Windows only but is also free-to-play.

Apple and Epic Games are in litigation. Apple kicked out Epic from both the Mac App Store and iOS App Store so you can't download and play Fortnite on your Mac nor iPhone.

I know League of Legends and EVE Online have Mac clients. Just visit the game's individual websites and see what they offer in terms of free play or demos.

Some other games have relatively few controls compared to the competitive games like CS:GO or Overwatch.

All of these are some of the most popular videogames on the planet and there are likely sizable community groups that are familiar with accessibility for each game. Check the games' individual support and fan forums for more specific guidance. This is not something you will get the answers to here at MacRumors.

I have zero knowledge about videogames from Amazon Prime. I'm guessing these would be covered in an appropriate FAQ in the Prime member support section.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
macOS should support the Xbox Adaptive Controller as well. So that may make playing some games easier for you.

achonody

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
macOS should support the Xbox Adaptive Controller as well. So that may make playing some games easier for you.
Thanks so much!!! I am doing a ton of research before I buy anything game related to see if it is for me. I am looking at a lot of steam resources ( for tomb raider user manuals and such) and looking at the keystrokes it does seem like it to me I could play this game. I’m starting with this game first before even thinking about another. However, I am not satisfied yet with my research. I also found out through Steam that a quadriplegic plays this game which is really neat and inspiring. He has his own YouTube channel then I’m going to check out. All about gaming for people with disabilities. Pretty cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.