gaming monitor suggestions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JBG87, Jan 10, 2011.

1. JBG87 macrumors member

Hi im looking for a great gaming monitor (xbox360) that i can also connect my macbook 2010 to when I need to any suggestions?

Under 400 would be great :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Any monitor with HDMI and DVI should do the trick. Info about the size and other specs (like speakers) would help though.

3. JBG87 thread starter macrumors member

the size doesnt matter i heard 24 is great for gaming...it doesnt have to have sound, currently i have a surround set that im not using and some computer speakers that im not using as well...but i dont know too much about the sound deal

4. Jaygyver macrumors newbie

Basically:
    Pick a price,
    Pick a Size,
    Pick the connectors,

You want a fast response monitor like 2ms or faster. (lower number is better). 4ms is fine. That's probably the thing you'll notice most is the ghosting,,, maybe. On fast "Action" movies or games you MIGHT notice a slight blurring when people, cars, etc, go by.
    Don't worry too much about the colors as it's really in the "Eye of the Beholder". Show a Photo to 9 people and you will get 9 different opinions. The color and brightness issues can be changed in the menus to suit your needs 99 percent of the time anyway.

Check the REVIEWS on the Monitors you are interested in on some of the on-line stores and see how people like them. Don't worry too much about the how "Black" the blacks are, you probably wouldn't notice unless someone told you anyway. Besides, your too busy NOT dieing to care anyway right?

As for the size, how big is the area your going to put the monitor in? Measure the area and then find out what the OUTSIDE dimensions (overall size, edge to edge, top to Base) is of the monitor you want.
    You can get a 27"+ LCD/LED monitor for $400 US now.
    But save some money left over as the HDMI/DVI to Mini DisplayPort for the MacBook is going to cost $30 or $40.

The monitor connectors would need an HDMI for the X-Box, and a DVI or VGA connector (preferable a Mini DisplayPort) other wise you will have to buy a DVI or HDMI to Mini DisplayPort converter for the MacBook.

Go to Amazon.com, Newegg.com or any online store and just read up an the monitors that YOU want. Make sure to READ the REVIEWS! if you have 100 total reviews on one monitor and only 5 or 10 are 1 or 2 stars and the rest are 4 or 5 stars then it's a pretty good guess it's a pretty good monitor. If they are evenly spread out then stay away as it's would be too much of a hit or miss. But also look to see how old they are.
    You only want to look at the last 6 months or so because you want the most recent reviews.
    You don't care what they were doing a year ago as products get updated over time. There's not a manufacturer out there that hasn't had a lemon. It's just in between is when you want to buy.

Don't worry about the speakers as most built in ones are worthless for gaming, their mainly for YouTube or e-mail and the like.

Read, read, read..........