Gaming mouse, OSX compatible?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Porsche1209, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Porsche1209 macrumors newbie

Porsche1209

With the post-chistmas gift card overload, I'm looking to buy a good gaming mouse to play Battlefield 2142 in OSX. Most of the mice I've been looking at, including the G5, don't have OSX drivers (that I know of). My wireless mighty mouse doesn't have a reliable right click, so I'm looking for a replacement, be it just for gaming or permanently.
    Please reply back with suggestions and, if possible, a link to the product page.
    Gracias!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Mice work out of the box, and if all the buttons etc aren't working properly (relatively likely if there are more than a few), Steermouse is great :)

3. newboy4128 macrumors newbie

newboy4128

G5

When I went Mac over a year ago I brought my G5 mouse over and have been using it to play WOW and Bf2142. My G5 is an earlier version than what Logitech is selling now, but I am sure they will work all the same. I have been very pleased with my G5 on a Mac.

4. f1 macrumors 6502

Make sure you buy ur mouse from a place with a good return policy. If you're using your mouse with Leopard, some non mac compatible mice do cause Kernel Panics...

5. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

How?!!?! Its a USB device.

6. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Using a new Logitech MX518 here, the updated one with 1800dpi. Works like a charm with no 3rd party drivers. :cool:

I have assigned the forward/back thumb buttons for Activate Spaces and Expose All Windows, and the "Window" button on top to Show Desktop. DPI switch still works and I change sensitivity depending on task.

7. f1 macrumors 6502

I had a Logitech S510 Keyboard and Mouse Set, it would kernel panic everytime i plugged in or unplugged the USB Dongle from my macbook. One time, I accidentally unplugged the wrong USB device from my macbook, turned out to be the damn keyboard and mouse set, it kernel panicked my macbook during a time machine backup, which completely effed up my "volume structure" on the startup disk, and eventually my macbook would no longer startup, requiring me to reinstall Leopard. Lesson: if you get a mouse and it kernel panics while plugging it in, stop using it and return it and buy something new.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If a USB mouse is KPing your system then I'd say there's something wrong with it and you should replace it. On the other hand, if you've installed some sort of third-party mouse driver then I'd blame that instead.

9. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

The Razer Pro Click v1.6 is a gaming mouse designed for Macs; it essentially is just a Razer Diamondback that comes in white to match your Mac. I absolutely love mine.

10. Porsche1209 thread starter macrumors newbie

Porsche1209

Gracias

Thanks for the help- I think I'll head over to best buy tomorrow and see what they have to offer.

11. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I've got a Razer Diamondback as well, it's fantastic trust me you wont be disappointed.

12. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I've been a long time Razer supporter. I had their first product (The Boomslang), and then I've boughten a few other mice since then from them including the Diamondback, which I used until I got my mac.

If they would ever come out with a bluetooth diamondback (or better) I'd get that in a heartbeat.

That being said, Razer's stuff kicks ass. :)

13. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

That would have to be Razer's weakness, no wireless gear. I think they would do better if they introduced some good wireless mice and keyboards but with that said their stuff already kicks ass.

14. sabesh macrumors regular

I just bought a Razer Diamondback and setup the latest Pro|Click Leopard drivers. However, I'm unable to setup the buttons via the Razer s/w: I can only adjust some settings via the existing wireless mighty mouse drivers. Have you been able to get the Razer s/w to function? I'm running Leopard on a new iMac. Thx.

15. tango554 macrumors member

If you get the G5, use steermouse or usb overdrive.

It kinda sucks you have to pay a bit more for the software, but its worth it IMO.