Gaming mouse - Precision issues in OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Baggy Spandex, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

In search for a great, precise mouse for use right now in PS I decided to try out some gaming mice before trying out a Wacom Intuous. In the last two days I have purchased and returned 2 gaming mice, a Razer DeathAdder with the Mac drivers installed and a Logitech G5 using USBOverdrive.

The problem is simple. When trying to do slow, precise tracking the cursor skips a couple of pixels. ? . It's especially noticeable when 'drawing' a diagonal line. What gives? I know the Razer is an infrared sensor and the Logi a laser, and I've tried them both on multiple mouse surfaces. Is it a case of the mouse dpi not agreeing with the OSX acceleration curves? I tried turning the acceleration off and the same issue exists.

Unfortunately, I feel like now I'm stuck with purchasing a wired MM. I really liked having customizable buttons on the G5. The Razer was a great mouse as well, and I would have loved to keep it but I returned it thinking that it simply wasn't able to play nice in OSX...and then the G5 had the same problem.

Anyone experience the same thing?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I greatly prefer to use my Intuos3 as a mouse over my Razor DeathAdder. I'm fed up with having to deal with the quirkiness of the Razor.

3. adamk77 macrumors 6502

I'd try a Microsoft Mouse with their Intellimouse driver.

It's working well for me (as in I can't tell the diff between windows and mac). That is, if this is what you are going for.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Most MR users swear by Logitech mice, but I'm happy with my wireless MM.

5. zao8350 macrumors regular

i have the razer deathadder and love it. are you sure the driver is up to date? i set up the mouse preferences in sys prefs then went and did the razer set up until i got it how i like it and haven't had any problems since. when i use photoshop and am doing a lot of painting stuff in there it doesn't skip or jump at all for me. hope you can fix your problem

6. SonicRage macrumors newbie

I have a DeathAdder and I've experienced the same issues as the OP. After hours of research over many weeks, I am still yet to find a solution. My mouse has the latest firmware but the desktop software has remained unsupported by Razer for 10.6 and beyond.

Please note that the effect is quite subtle. For the most part, it operates just fine but as the OP noted, when doing slow diagonal motions, the cursor may skip slightly and the cursor path is more of a stepped-staircase rather than a straight diagonal.

7. Dae macrumors regular

Dae

Same issue with Logitech G5 new edition (blue) and Logitech G5 old (yellowish) even when flashed to the latest firmware. Tried on two Mac Pro's, MacBook Pro and on both Leopard & Snow Leopard.

Attached Files:

8. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Avoid Logitech drivers.

Use Steermouse or USB Overdrive. I prefer USB Overdrive.

9. Dae macrumors regular

Dae

I don't have Logitech drivers installed and never had because Logitech Control Center for Mac doesn't support Logitech G5 mouse.

Neither SteerMouse or USB Overdrive solve the problem. Tried — and failed.

10. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Just to confirm, you turned the DPI setting on the mouse (if it's adjustable) as high as it will go before adjusting the tracking speed in the OS? If not, that is going to kill your precision.

11. Dae macrumors regular

Dae

I've tried all three dpi modes and it doesn't help, it jumps as always. :(

12. Breathless macrumors newbie

There is also another way around this for those with a G5, and I presume this will help a lot of other people as well with different mouses…

Go into windows, install Logitech SetPoint (or if you have another mouse with programmable DPI’s – use that software), and create a DPI profile that has 2000 (or more if your mouse allows it – the G5 max’s at 2000) as the max, and whatever you are comfortable with UNDER WINDOWS as the default setting (the middle setting). This will now be stored in the mouse.

Go into OSX, and turn OSX’s mouse tracking ALL THE WAY TO NOTHING. Now just tap the button on the mouse that increases your dpi up (the 2000 setting). BOOM, not only is the tracking near perfect, but that jittery problem appears to be gone for me with my G5. The only problem is the mouse is just a LITTLE bit slower than I’d really like with my G5, but only a little bit, and only because 2000 is the highest setting. Don’t try to get fancy and increase the tracking one tick above the minimum setting, cuz then the problem comes back and tracking is crappy again.

TRY IT!

13. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

I tried your experiment with my cheapo dell 2 button optical mouse I found at work.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Breathless macrumors newbie

That looks like a "Fo Shizzle" to me :D

15. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

My input devices of choice are:
    • Microsoft Explorer Mini (w/ Bluetrack) when I'm away from my desk
    • Logitech MX Revolution when I'm at home
    • Wacom Intuos3 when I need very high precision for design work

Supposedly Bluetrack is more precise than a normal laser mouse (like the MX Revolution), but I prefer the heft of the Logitech for regular use. I'm not a big fan of OS X acceleration curves, so I use each with their default drivers (no major complaints with the default drivers).