Gaming on 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matthewskyle, Feb 2, 2011.

1. matthewskyle macrumors member

I have a mid 2010 13" MBP that I have put 8 gigs of RAM in and a 128 gig SSD. Now that I have a smaller storage capacity with the SSD what are my options are as far as gaming? Is bootcamp the best way? Anyone use crossover? Also, what type of games should I expect to run smoothly on this that are not OSX native? I have VMware Fusion running XP SP3 but I havent tried gaming through that yet but it would be nice to play a few game every now and then without buying a dedicated gaming rig. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

2. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Bootcamp will be the best way to run games. Gaming through VMware will probably not bring you acceptable performance. A better question would be what games do you want to play? The 320m is nice for an integrated gpu, but performance on it will be lackluster on modern games. You'll probably need to play on low settings for most of them

3. kutsushita macrumors regular

kutsushita

So far I've played bioshock, left 4 dead 2, team fortress 2, counterstrike source, half life 2 and all the episodes, portal, and black ops on both my late 2009 MacBook and mid 2010 13" pro just fine. I left the settings alone in all of them and haven't had any problems yet! Oh and my friend plays black ops on his 2007 MacBook pro on high with no problems either.