Gaming on 2011 Macbook Pro 13?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ldominguez1986, Feb 10, 2012.

1. ldominguez1986 macrumors member

I know this is kind of a dumb question but I just wanted to get a general consensus. What games have you played on your Macbook and do they run well? I only ask because I am looking to buy a Macbook Pro 13 and would like to know from people who already have one and if it's "ok" for any kind of gaming. Any feedback is helpful and thank you.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It has an integrated graphics card, therefore it is not "OK for gaming". It does alright for older games, but if you want to play anything recent, you won't be happy with performance.

If a computer has an integrated graphics card, don't consider it appropriate for anything but light gaming when current games are considered.

3. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

The integrated graphics card is really going to limit you as far as games are concerned. While games such as Minecraft, Diablo II and even Starcraft 2 and WoW can be played with few or no problems, newer games (such as SWTOR and MW2) will be unplayable at best. On the other hand, if you were to bump up to the 15" MBP with a dedicated GPU, then games like SWTOR and MW2 run fine in Windows under Bootcamp.

4. ldominguez1986 thread starter macrumors member

I am not really set on gaming on the macbook but am just interested in seeing what people are playing on there macbook pro 13s. I have seen tons of videos with people playing all different types of games and they run ok. If I do play any game, it will be more or likely to just kill some time.

5. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

i used to play SC2 with an early 2011 13" MBP

playable only with low details in gfx

and fans were running at full speed all the time

definitely not the best situation for gaming

now having a late 2011 15" MBP, graphics are much nice but still fan are running full speed

on my 2011 iMac, no problem at all, very quiet, excellent gfx

6. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I have the 13 and it is not a gaming machine. MacBooks in general are not for gaming so if thats a priority you may want to look elsewhere. The only games I ever really use are simple ones like angry birds and it plays just fine. However if you wanted to do real gaming you would not really be able to.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can install pretty much any modern game, but you will have to turn the settings way down on most.

8. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

This is true but would make for a disappointing experience

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

"Disappointing" is subjective. Some people are perfectly happy playing BF3 with everything turned off. Others aren't. Clearly the OP isn't really concerned about great graphics since they're asking about gaming on an Apple portable in the first place.

10. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

11. fingleburt macrumors member

I play WoW every now and then but the fans are on all the time. Like ppl have posted, older games will run fine but that's about it I'm afraid.

12. ldominguez1986 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, as long as it can play some games that's fine. Like I said, I am not expecting to do serious gaming just want to play some games to kill time. I also do not mind about turning the graphics way down to be able to play anything either. I appreciate all the help with the comments. I am really interested in what people are playing on their 13" pros.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

SC2 you can probably run on medium/high settings with no difficulty and a decent internet connection.