Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karnashuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Warsaw
Hi there fellows,

I need your expert opinion guys.

I'm planning to buy a top-of-the-line iMac next year, hopefully it will come out around March/April month. I'm also planning to game intensively on my iMac.
Going to play Diablo 3 when it arrives, definitely on Lion OS. As for the other games, obviously using Windows7 on bootcamp. To the point...

I'll surely go with SSD. Should I buy two built in SSDs? One for each OS?
How does SSD behave when partitioned? I'm also planning to make some LP's, using Fraps. Should I use a separate drive to save the files on, to make the most of FPS in game? What would be your idea (as for drives install)?

Please help me out guys, I'm confused.
Thanks in advance.

---
Karnashuk

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
Ssd...!

If you mean by SSD you mean Solid State Drive, then that part is actually a bad idea. SSD's are similar to being huge SD cards. Over time SD cards loose memory do to normal use when you take memory off and put other memory on. Apparently regular hard drives are better, as in last longer and are cheaper...along with the fact that, as far as I have heard, SSD's aren't that tough yet, they are a relatively new technology and have some serious quirks that are still being worked out.
About the partitioning part, I have done that with my single Terabit Hard Drive and have had absolutely no problems, but if I had the money I would get another one in this Beast of mine. I think that is a fine Idea, but I don't know how partitioning would go on it, I tool WAY less than half for the windows though, being that the Mac is my daily use machine and I put movies and stuff on it.

:apple:

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This information is not 100% correct. I currently have 7 SSDs across 4 Macs. SSDs are reliable and have a very good life span. However multiple read and write operations will shorten the theoretical life spam, but you will like want newer technology by the time this comes into play. I suggest browsing the iMac form for more information to help with your hardware decision.

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I also have SSDs and have had no problems yet. So far it's made my MacBook so much faster. I think the person complaining about SSDs hasn't got there facts entirely right. Go SSD. You won't regret it.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Apparently regular hard drives are better, as in last longer and are cheaper...along with the fact that, as far as I have heard, SSD's aren't that tough yet, they are a relatively new technology and have some serious quirks that are still being worked out.
Regular hard drives are extremely prone to mechanical malfunctions - ESPECIALLY for computers that are regularly put into standby/hibernate, or shut down. The nasty parts about this is that it can easily kill the entire drive, and around 50% of the time - theres no advance warning.

SSD memory cells can endure between 3000 to 10,000 writes each on average.

Public community stress testing has demonstrated that 40 to 80gb units can handle upwards 500 terabytes (1terabyte = 1000 gigabytes) of data before wear issues become prominent. On average, my own SSDs do about 2TB of writing per year. However, those are also far larger (120gb or 160gb) - which only increases the total writes the drive can handle. In essence, with my use it could take upwards 1000 years to kill the drive through writing. And in addition, when that happens - I can still pull the data from the drive - just not alter it. And the SSDs themselves give plenty of information on their wear status and warnings about when you're getting to this point.

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
wow!

If this is fact than either my info is out of date or someone didn't know what they were talking about when I did my research on SSD's. It sounds like they are worth their price. It does make sense that they would be awesome, considering that apple doesn't generally sell something unless it is well worth buying.
Sorry if any info I gave was wrong...I did say, "as far a I know..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.