Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smilinmonki666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Still researching what would be best suited for me.

I still can't decide between the iMac or the Mac Pro. The only thing that is putting me of the Mac Pro is kinda the pricea dn that i've heard that the Zeon processor is too good for gaming? -- is this true?

I want to dual boot the machine with Windows so I can just use the windows section to play games on, possibly use Vista as this is ment to be best for gaming; especially with SP1 out now.

Can anyone PLEASE help me? Does any play games like Crysis on the Mac Pro or the iMac?

I really want a Mac, but I don't want to get rid of PC Gaming?

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2008
Crysis will run OK on one of the current top-end iMacs, there are even some YouTube videos of iMacs running that game.

Mac Pro should run Crysis very well, especially since it has an 8800GT in there.

But, if I were you I would wait until Apple updates the iMac (probably around June) - there may be some video card/processor boosts that may come in handy when gaming.

alleycat

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
I believe the Mac Pro to be a superior machine for gaming. Though your choices are limited for video upgrades in order to boot between OS X and Windows. I'd stay away from Vista, as Windows XP is compatible with almost all games new or old.

smilinmonki666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
It won't be till the later end of this year that I will be in the position to buy a mac, but I don't want to spend the extra money if there is no need, if the new iMac's are upgraded, I will buy the top end machine without a doubt.

I would prefer XP as it's not going to clog my machine up, but Vista is the only Windows OS that uses DirectX 10.... But then wasn't impressed with Vista, I need to have a play around with it & find out what process's to disable at startup like on XP... Why can't they create a gaming version of Vista or XP???

Cheers for your help guys...

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2008
Actually you could tweak Vista to disable a lot of processes and gain back a lot of speed.

I use Vista Home Premium w/SP1 on my iMac and it works flawlessly. Runs very well, I would say games run faster compared to XP.

Maclarny

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
MN
iMac graphics card doesn't have much lasting power in terms of high end gaming. The next update to the line (which should be relatively soon) hopefully will have a graphics card boost, but I wouldn't count on it. If you can afford one, Mac Pro is definitely your best bet.

Supaklaw

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
NYC
I'd say it really depends on what games you are talking about. From what I've read the iMacs hold their own on most games, and technically can play Crysis but at lower settings. If Crysis is your defining game (which it is for many PC gamers with crazy ass duel video cards running) clearly a Mac Pro is the way to go. You'd have to order the nVidia card though, it isn't standard. The 8800GT I mean. I am not a fan of ATI cards and I think the iMac is ATI. Secondly the Mac Pro offers the option to upgrade, the iMac does not. I own a G5 iMac and have to say it's a beautiful machine, low footprint, and if the factory spex fit your bill and you don't need to play Crysis at max settings, you're probably fine with the iMac. If you're like me, and use my HDTV as a monitor, intend to buy an internal Bluray player, add RAM in the future and drives... and wanted to have a beast that can yawn through most heavy gaming... Mac Pro. It's expensive, you need to weigh cost and need essentially.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Secondly the Mac Pro offers the option to upgrade, the iMac does not.

Sorry, but I had to laugh at that one. Perhaps you haven't read anything about the 2006 Mac Pros recently. If you have, perhaps you think that it won't (it will) happen with the 2008 Mac Pros.

Apple wants you to replace the whole thing. They don't care about singular users buying Mac Pros; they care about design corporations and places like Pixar who can afford to replace the entire machine to get a faster processor since their work depends on it.

It's the saddest happenstance in computing today; the Mac Pro GPU debacle, but it's real. As of yet, there's no solution except XP/Vista. When ATI/nVidia switch to all EFI cards, we'll see a surge in (unofficially) compatible cards for the Mac Pro, but as long as the Microtards are stuck in 1981, there will only be BIOS cards out there.

Supaklaw

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
NYC
Sorry I have a 2008 mac pro... that's the one he's referring to. The are releasing a compatible 8800GT I thought.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Still researching what would be best suited for me.

I still can't decide between the iMac or the Mac Pro. The only thing that is putting me of the Mac Pro is kinda the pricea dn that i've heard that the Zeon processor is too good for gaming? -- is this true?

I want to dual boot the machine with Windows so I can just use the windows section to play games on, possibly use Vista as this is ment to be best for gaming; especially with SP1 out now.

Can anyone PLEASE help me? Does any play games like Crysis on the Mac Pro or the iMac?

I really want a Mac, but I don't want to get rid of PC Gaming?

You could buy an imac and build a real pc gaming rig that would destroy the mac pro for about the same price.

MortonH

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2006
You could buy an imac and build a real pc gaming rig that would destroy the mac pro for about the same price.

Which would be a much more realistic option if the iMac had a bl**dy video input to let you use it as a monitor!

smilinmonki666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
the whole idea of me getting a mac is so I can duel boot and use windows for gaming and osx for everything else. I'm not into buying the best thing, I just want something to do the job. The appealing thing about the Mac Pro is the upgradability and that if I did go for the best then that would be the option. I don't want two machines and maybe two monitors on my desk. The whole idea of dual booting for me is so I can have one machine that does all.

MortonH

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2006
You consider bloody a curse word?

You consider that question a useful addition to this thread???

the whole idea of me getting a mac is so I can duel boot and use windows for gaming and osx for everything else. I'm not into buying the best thing, I just want something to do the job. The appealing thing about the Mac Pro is the upgradability and that if I did go for the best then that would be the option. I don't want two machines and maybe two monitors on my desk. The whole idea of dual booting for me is so I can have one machine that does all.

I agree completely. That's why I'm looking at the run-out deals being offered here (Australia) on the 2.66GHz Mac Pro. For me I think it'll be the best compromise. It's cheaper than a brand new top-end iMac and it can be upgraded.

Morton

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.