Gaming on a Mac via Boot Camp/Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Keniff, May 12, 2009.

1. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Hey,

I know this has been asked/answered a Gazillion times, but I just can't seem to find these specific questions, so I do apologize - and I'd be grateful for the help with these five questions...

1 - What's the best Windows OS to use for my needs and specs?
    (I'd like to use that partition for gaming, some internet and maybe to use some VST plug-ins, I'll upgrade some drivers, etc),

2 - So - How much should I partition off for my main internal HD?
    (I have 1TP internal, 1 TB external)

3 - I've seen some tutorial vids on YouTube to help install, but what drivers should I get, once I'm in Windows?
    (I'm using 10.5.7 and all new software and a Radeon HD 4870 and a mac pro. Two 2.26GHz 8-Core)

4 - And is there anything else I need to know before I install it, as all I see is complaints on these forums, regarding these issues?
    (I'm happy to buy a new (solid) version of the Windows OS, as I don't want any cracked software in my Mac, especially a OS.
    But I tried to download a few versions, and had problems to install it from a disc, once I'd burnt it in Toast!)

5 - Out of curiosity, what did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance,

K.

2. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

You can use XP, Vista or Windows 7.

Windows 7 is NOT finished and is available as a Release Candidate. You can get it for free from MS, BUT, it is only usable without any restrictions until March of 2010. You cannot upgrade fromt he release candiate version of Windows 7 to the final released version. If you plan on putting any important data on there, I would not do that without backing up. You do run a higher risk of having Windows 7 screw up out of nowhere one day and force you to reformat.

If you plan on buying an OS, I would go with Vista. XP works, but it's 8 years old now. It's outdated technology wise and Vista uses resources MUCH better than XP. Also, I would go with the 64-bit version of Vista, ESPECIALLY if you have 4 or more gigs of RAM.

Don't use the external for installing an OS. They are not designed for continuous reading and writing like th at of an internal HDD.

How much you decide to partition depends on how many games and how big your games are. But you shouldn't partition less than 40 gigs with Vista IMO. You can get away with less, but it won't leave much for much of anything.

Stick in your restore disk. It has the Boot Camp drivers needed. Afterwards, you can go to ATi's site to get the latest drivers.

Also, since you have two physical CPUs, you will want either Vista Business, Vista Enterprise (which I highly doubt you have access too, as you can't buy it in a store or online) or Vista Ultimate. For XP, you will want XP Professional. For Windows 7, the download from Microsoft will install the Ultimate version.

The reason for this, is that Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium, as well as XP Home can't utilize more than one physical CPU. If you decide to get Windows 7 in the future, Windows 7 Home Basic and Windows 7 Home Premium can't utilize more than one physical CPU either (but Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 7 Ultimate can).

I'm happy to buy a new (solid) version of the Windows OS, as I don't want any cracked software in my Mac, especially a OS.
    But I tried to download a few versions, and had problems to install it from a disc, once I'd burnt it in Toast!

Don't know. It's hard to know without knowing where you got it, what modifications that were done to it and without knowing what version you downloaded.

I also want to note that Vista 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit can have problems installing. The problem has to do with the EFI versioning used. I have absolutely NO idea whether the problem whether it will affect your Mac Pro or not.

3. Keniff thread starter macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Thanks very much 'The Flashing Fi' you helped me alot, as I'm sure this has helped other people.

I decided I would go with the Beta version of 'Windows 7' (32 Bit) and it's worked fine, apart from me not knowing the Windows OS very well, so I'll just it work it out, in time.
    But for now, the only real annoying thing is, I'm unable to get the External speakers working, that are running off a jack-plug, on the back of the machine..
    On the new 24" displays, it sounds fine, but not as good as my externals....

I guess I'll work it out in time, or befriend a Windows geek to show me the ropes? ;)

Once again,

Thankyou very much...

K. ;)

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I've been using Windows since 3.11 and I must say Windows 7 is so awesome.

5. Keniff thread starter macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Tbh, that's very questionable, as I'm having sleepless nights, asking myself why I put such a renowned buggy piece of shizniz on my machine...

;)