Gaming on a mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lbzcrazy, Aug 23, 2015.

1. lbzcrazy, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015

lbzcrazy macrumors newbie

lbzcrazy

Hi, I want to use a good Mac computer for gaming and some other stuff. I want to use this computer for playing games like minecraft (Modded with up to 70 Mods at a time AKA modpacks) , some shooting games , use for school (basic text editing and stuff), Programming , and some other games. I hate when games lag and I usually will be using only one program at a time. I want it to be able to host minecraft servers and stuff like that. Mac pro and 27 inch imac with retina is too expensive for me. I was thinking 21.5 inch-
    • 3.1GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB
    • 1TB Fusion Drive
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1GB GDDR5
    • Apple Magic Mouse
    • Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    • Accessory Kit

But i Can go up to $2,800 if I have to, the reason i choose Mac is because I Always get a Virus on Dell, last time I payed up to $345 on Anti-Virus and I still got Viruses!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

The 21.5" iMac would easily handle that, though so would the 13" rMBP, even with its dedicated GPU. Heck even a MacBook Air would do what you need it to.

Of course as a rule of thumb, buy the best specs you can afford.

3. lbzcrazy thread starter macrumors newbie

lbzcrazy

Ok Thanks but With MineCraft 70+ Mods will be a challenge, im not sure that 21.5 inch will work for it.

4. lbzcrazy thread starter macrumors newbie

lbzcrazy

Okay so basically i want the best computer for the lowest cost but I want it to be GOOD with room so that when Apple does new releases this one will still beable to get the updates and stuff.

5. iMacParty macrumors newbie

iMacParty

I have the Mac for the same usage, I have Minecraft modded up with 42 mods and it always runs fast I have got steam on it and it always is very fast especially with sims3 and stuff, I haven't got a single virus and very proud =) I recommend getting a mac

6. lbzcrazy thread starter macrumors newbie

lbzcrazy

Whats your mac model

7. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

13 inch only has integrated and it most likely will not be able to handle it all that well with all of those mods. Iris Pro maybe; Iris would be fine for vanilla minecraft.

8. MartinAppleGuy, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015

MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

My IMac with a 750m runs GTA V at medium to high settings at 900p at over 60fps. Can easily game ;)

D
    ont bother with the i7 if you're gaming. Even the RAM you don't need because while playing BF4 or GTA V; I only ever use 4-5GB of RAM lol

9. iMacParty, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015

iMacParty macrumors newbie

iMacParty

OSX 10.10.5 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 21.5 Inch

10. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Tha model comes with Intel Iris Pro; not the 750m. Iris Pro is a complete beast of an iGPU; but the OP should see an increase of up to 2X in general performance; especially on the Windows side of things if he chose to go down that route. GTA V for example in a test on Notebookcheck shown the 750m with GDDR5 VRAM achieve double the frame rate of the already good Iris Pro.

11. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I'd also recommend buying the Magic Trackpad over the Mouse; much better overall and much more usable in OS X. If you're gaming, the Magic Mouse is almost impossible to use as you can't left and right click at the same time. Ge the trackpad and then buy any first party gaming mouse :)

12. lbzcrazy thread starter macrumors newbie

lbzcrazy

Thanks! i think i will get a 21.5 inch I7 3.1 with 8GB 1TB fusion, but just for safety in case i want to upgrade later, can you upgrade your RAM? Like if i get a game that comes out in like 2024 and it requires 16Gb RAM or like a new version of RAM.

13. lbzcrazy thread starter macrumors newbie

lbzcrazy

and does anyone here know what the rumor is about the New Mac in October? Imac or laptop?

14. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Seems like a great configuration for gaming. Regarding the rumor or something, every October, they introduce a new upgrade to the line-up. Also, yes, you can upgrade the mid-line and high-line iMac 21.5", but not easily, you'll have to dig inside. Besides, you probably won't need more than 16GB, and when you will, it'll be on another machine. That is, if they don't piss all over us and make the RAM soldered in the next upgrade.

15. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

I have to be really honest. I Gamed on a Mac for several years and I enjoyed it. But recently I built a gaming computer to run alongside my iMac and there is simply just nothing like gaming on a Windows computer. Many will disagree with me and that's fine but I'm telling you it's an overall better experience for games. IN MY OPINION.

I also played plenty of Minecraft a lot of Mods simply just won't run on a Mac. The installers don't work etc

16. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Few will disagree with you there windows graphics drivers are better optimised for gaming and that is well known fact.

17. lbzcrazy thread starter macrumors newbie

lbzcrazy

Has this happened to anyone before? I dont want to pay $1,900 - $2,100 for a computer that I can only do school stuff on...

18. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

Im not saying it wont play games, there are just certain things that don't work very well on a mac when it comes to games - and mod support is one of them.

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You can always put windows on it for gaming.

20. ImChrisP, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015

ImChrisP macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I have recently purchased a new iMac 5k, one of my activities was to game on it.

[​IMG]

I can quite happily say it handles games very well, however when gaming the fan will ramp up a lot to around 2700 RPM. Shortly after quitting the game it will then return to a peaceful 1200 RPM.

I have played a selection of games:
    Black Ops 3 Beta (Released: August 2015) - High settings, 1440p - 80fps
    Advanced Warfare (Released November 2014) - High Settings, 1440p - 91fps (Cap)
    Counter Strike: Global Offensive (Released: August 2012) - Maxed Settings - 1440p - Averaging around 200 fps (Maxed 270fps)

The heat was a concern of mine and it still is. the iMac does get very hot and the fans at 2700 RPM doesn't seem to do much apart from pushing out a lot of heat. Even with Fan Controls forcing the fan to not ramp up it still gets to the same heat and you can feel the heat on the iMac fairly quickly.

My other uses for the iMac are Graphic Design (Beautiful 5K resolution screen) and general day to day tasks.

I would highly recommend the iMac, however I would recommend getting Apple Care with it just incase anything does go wrong with it in the future. There have also been complaints on the forums of sluggish transitions, I haven't noticed any issues.

Also remember you have 14 days after the product gets to you to decide if you desire to return it to Apple.

21. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I think your understanding of computer cooling needs some work, "the iMac does get very hot and the fans at 2700 RPM doesn't seem to do much apart from pushing out a lot of heat" this quote is a doozy .

That is exactly what computer fans are for to push the hot air out of your PC sucking in cool air from outside and cooling the components. If you force the fans off it will start to throttle much earlier and impact performance.

22. ImChrisP macrumors newbie

What I meant was it doesn't seem to cool it down, it sits at the same temp, even if its not at 2700 RPM. Sorry if it was confusing :)

23. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You are confusing what happens here, the computer will allow it to get to a certain heat and then throttle back rather allow heating to continue. The Fans mean that this throttling happens later and should not impact the performance as much when the fans are spun up, stopping them ramp up is neither good for performance or your mac, even if the computer eventually gets to the same temp anyway.

24. shaunp macrumors 65816

I have a nMP with D700 graphics cards, basically the fastest thing Apple makes right now and for games it sucks. And don't say 'that's because it's got a workstation graphics card' They are basically the same cards, it's only the driver that changes and in bootcamp the are crossfire enabled, if you choose them to be configured that way.

I also have an old PC, i7 3770K with GTX 780, and at 1440p (i.e. the native resolution of the non-retina 27" iMac) it flies. Much quicker than the nMP does running the same OS (Windows 8.1) with the same games (Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Elite Dangerous). Perhaps the nMP will work better with other games, but so far the PC is tons better.

If playing games is your main reason for getting a computer then stick with the PC and understand why you got a virus. Probably because you downloaded some game hack from the internet? If you stay away from dodgy websites and use some discipline then Windows is a better platform for what you need.

25. ImChrisP macrumors newbie

Understood :) I was just stating what I had tried and what i had found.