Gaming on a MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ssavory, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ssavory macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm a student studying Audio Engineering, music and sound recording. I've always had a windows pc and am quite big on gaming but want to switch to mac for logic/pro tools etc. I want to switch completely, can't be bothered to have two machines. So was just wondering how the mac book pros are for gaming?

I've seen a few youtube vids and stuff but it's hard to tell. I was looking at the 15" MBP with the 512mb 9600 card but realised they'll most likely be an update soon. Could I get some peoples honest opinions on what an MBP is like for demanding gaming? :)

Cheers guys

ps. feel free to throw out some refresh estimates :p

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you game... you need to install Windows in Bootcamp and run natively
    You will never be satisfied running Fusion or Parallels

If you Bootcamp, you should be OK

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I've had no issues gaming on my MBP. What games are you referring to, specifically?

Habitus :apple:

4. ssavory thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet, well, at the moment I'm playing mass effect 2 but really would like to be able to play most games (recent and near future) without having to set the graphics too low.

And yeah, I knew about boot camp but not sure if it affects performance? I've heard differing opinions on this. I would probably be installing windows 7 ultimate.

Cheers guys!

5. mr.thedaniel macrumors regular

I have an early 2009 MBP unibody 15", it's great for gaming. under bootcamp I've run orange box, crysis, far cry 2, etc with no problems, and the games that are available for osx (like wow, spore..) obviously run smoothly too.

I also studied audio engineering, and you couldn't ask for a better laptop for audio, whether running logic or protools 8, it's a perfect audio engineering student's comp. Make sure to get at least 4GB of ram.

6. Koronis macrumors member

Koronis

I have a 2009 MacBook Pro, the model with the 9600 video card. It runs every new game I have tried on max settings at a very good frame rate. No lag in Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead 2, or Bioshock 2. I am running windows 7 in bootcamp.

A MBP is an excellent laptop for your audio needs and gaming

7. haiggy macrumors 65816

A MBP sounds perfect for your needs.

My 3 year old 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo, 8600 GT 256 MB runs the Starcraft II Beta under Bootcamp in Windows 7 on high settings with very little to no slowdowns. A new MBP would be a huge difference better.

For what you are doing, a MBP would be great. I recommend atleast 4 GB of RAM too.

The new MBP models should kick butt.

8. whatusername macrumors newbie

Starcraft

Hey "Haiggy" how is the Starcraft beta. Im really looking forward to it, completely bored of WOW.