Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yatta1337

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
I've got Windows XP running on Bootcamp on my 15" MBP, with a 20" external monitor hooked up via Mini DisplayPort --> DVI. I'm trying to keep the monitors independent of each other (not have mirroring on) and be able to launch games full screen on the external. Right now I'm trying to get it working with the Steam games (Portal, TF2, etc). I can launch the games in windowed mode and move them over, but then I'm unable to maximize. I tried searching around for information as to how to get applications or games to launch full screen on an external monitor, but haven't been able to come up with much. I'm hoping someone here can shed some light. Thanks!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You have to set the external monitor as your primary monitor in the preferences (don't know what they are called anymore):
Extended-Monitor-Settings.PNG

Does that help?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Under XP I have my iMac's main display turned off and I rely fully on the external. It's a little extreme (if you like using dual displays I guess) but it works flawlessly.

mojohojo

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2006
i have my external screen as main screen (with taskbar) for it to work.

how about gaming for mac osx with external screen. is there a way to change it to external screen? (main screen, dock, is on my macbook screen)

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
@ mojohojo
By dragging the Menu Bar from one display to the other, you might change that. The dragging can be done in System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement. But only when an external display is connected of course.

MacMoveMenuBarExternalDisplay.jpg

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
By dragging the Menu Bar from one display to the other, you might change that. The dragging can be done in System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement. But only when an external display is connected of course.

The OP is using Windows (Bootcamp), not OSX.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I recently installed the latest Nvidia drivers for my MacBook Pro (with an 8600 in it). The 185.xx (forgot the exact version) drivers do not seem to allow the external monitor to be set as the primary monitor. Reading various forums verified that quite a few people are having this problem with laptops and external monitors, too.

I was able to set the external monitor be the only monitor, though, which works fine for playing games on the external monitor. However, it also means I can't use my laptop monitor for other apps that I may want to run while playing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.