Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mosher

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Germany/Ukraine
I guess I could download it, play the tutorial and delete it afterwards again, but that experience won't be the same like a 5vs5 fight in a late game. It's no use if I play around for a few minutes because it's not the usage you'd want to see. That's why I asked for anyone else who actually plays the game: Less hassle, more accuracy.
there is a bot match available. its loads more cpu but for the graphics its the same.
I would really appreciate if u test it.

gian8989

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
MandiMac I personally have to thank you for all the test you are doing with your new iMac.

The temp doesn't seems so bad as last year and this is good news (noise level is the only thing that's hard to tell).
I read online that the iMac 5k 2014 in bootcamp have the old AMD driver. Can you check on catalyst what is the driver version on new iMac? FFXIV and GTA V had problem on r9 3xx series since the release of the cards because of bad driver optimization so if the driver are old this could be a problem.
I know that I'm asking a lot (and that I asked before) but can you check FFXIV with the benchmark (1440)?

I have to make a decision this week if I have to buy this or a PC:confused:. I've been using osx for 8 years so it's hard to go back but at the same time I've notice a quality drop in mac and osx in the last few years (Apple seems to care only of iphone and ipad now).

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
MandiMac I personally have to thank you for all the test you are doing with your new iMac.

The temp doesn't seems so bad as last year and this is good news (noise level is the only thing that's hard to tell).
I read online that the iMac 5k 2014 in bootcamp have the old AMD driver. Can you check on catalyst what is the driver version on new iMac? FFXIV and GTA V had problem on r9 3xx series since the release of the cards because of bad driver optimization so if the driver are old this could be a problem.
I know that I'm asking a lot (and that I asked before) but can you check FFXIV with the benchmark (1440)?

I have to make a decision this week if I have to buy this or a PC:confused:. I've been using osx for 8 years so it's hard to go back but at the same time I've notice a quality drop in mac and osx in the last few years (Apple seems to care only of iphone and ipad now).
I will download the benchmark, under OS X or under Win 10?
As for the noise level: Every laptop is way louder.
And the driver: See screenshot ;)

Attachments

• M395X.PNG
    M395X.PNG
    37 KB · Views: 240

gian8989

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
I will download the benchmark, under OS X or under Win 10?
As for the noise level: Every laptop is way louder.
And the driver: See screenshot ;)

On windows 10 ty.
Good to see that at least the driver were updated this summer but seems to be the one with problems (i hope in an update or the card not to be affected by the problem). if it crash on windowed mode try on full screen.
thanks again

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
On windows 10 ty.
Good to see that at least the driver were updated this summer but seems to be the one with problems (i hope in an update or the card not to be affected by the problem). if it crash on windowed mode try on full screen.
thanks again
Hey gian, I tried multiple times but it almost always crashed, really weird (at around 3/4 of the benchmark).

I got one through:
- High (Desktop)
- 1440p
- Windowed Full Screen
- DirectX 11
- 53 degrees Celsius at the start, 97 at max

You find the results in the files.

Attachments

• DESKTOPscore20151026142427.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4745.JPG
    IMG_4745.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 206

gian8989

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
Hey gian, I tried multiple times but it almost always crashed, really weird (at around 3/4 of the benchmark).

I got one through:
- High (Desktop)
- 1440p
- Windowed Full Screen
- DirectX 11
- 53 degrees Celsius at the start, 97 at max

You find the results in the files.
thank you.
That's not strage. As i thought the card is affected like the desktop r9 390/390x.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Thanks!
What about LoL on OSX? Also, I'm not interested in playing in 5K resolution, 1440p will be more than enough! :)
Tanax! I got your back!

LoL on OS X runs great. It doesn't matter if you're playing at 1440p (very high) or at 5K (very high), it's always smooth. 5K isn't recommendable though because of the small UI. But it would be possible, and 1440p is really awesome too.

Reactions: Tanax

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Tanax! I got your back!

LoL on OS X runs great. It doesn't matter if you're playing at 1440p (very high) or at 5K (very high), it's always smooth. 5K isn't recommendable though because of the small UI. But it would be possible, and 1440p is really awesome too.

Thanks a lot Mandi! :D Do you notice any increase in fan speed/noise while playing for a while?
What other games do you have that haven't already been posted? :)

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Thanks a lot Mandi! :D Do you notice any increase in fan speed/noise while playing for a while?
What other games do you have that haven't already been posted? :)
Nope, never - when I play I tend to do so with sound, and that's always louder than the soft whirl (imagine blowing through a straw, but only gently).
I'll give DotA 2 a shot like mosher wanted me to do, and then I'm gonna return to my trusted Diablo III I guess ;)

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
there is a bot match available. its loads more cpu but for the graphics its the same.
I would really appreciate if u test it.
So, I just tested it: Ultra settings under OS X.

Under 5K resolution you get around 25-35 FPS.
Under 1440p you get between 50-60 FPS.

Laai

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Germany
Ok, so here is my experience so far:

My old setup was 2012 rMBP, 2GHz i7, nVidia 650m GT 1GB RAM, 1080p Gaming on external monitor under Bootcamp for CS:GO mostly.

My current setup is late 2015 5k iMac with i5 3,3GHz, R9 M395X 4GB with, SSD 256Gb and 8GB RAM.

On my old setup I was able to play

CS:GO on 720p, all settings on low and had around 150-190 FPS (FPS drops in smokes to 100)
Assassin's Creed Unity would boot up, but was unplayable (1-3 FPS)
Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes on medium settings, was an ok gaming experience (sorry, forgot the specifics).

On the 5K iMac I only tried CS:GO and:
1440p Settings, all on medium with AA on to smoothen the edges, I get constant 250 FPS, in Smokes around 190-200. If I were to hook it up to my 1080p Monitor, I would surely get much higher settings.

/EDIT: Fans spin up more than idle in CS:GO, but are very quiet.

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
1440x1080 4:3 stretched is the best (or 1920×1440 on a 5K display) :cool: using switchresx

Last edited:

gian8989

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
Ok, so here is my experience so far:

My old setup was 2012 rMBP, 2GHz i7, nVidia 650m GT 1GB RAM, 1080p Gaming on external monitor under Bootcamp for CS:GO mostly.

My current setup is late 2015 5k iMac with i5 3,3GHz, R9 M395X 4GB with, SSD 256Gb and 8GB RAM.

On my old setup I was able to play

CS:GO on 720p, all settings on low and had around 150-190 FPS (FPS drops in smokes to 100)
Assassin's Creed Unity would boot up, but was unplayable (1-3 FPS)
Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes on medium settings, was an ok gaming experience (sorry, forgot the specifics).

On the 5K iMac I only tried CS:GO and:
1440p Settings, all on medium with AA on to smoothen the edges, I get constant 250 FPS, in Smokes around 190-200. If I were to hook it up to my 1080p Monitor, I would surely get much higher settings.

/EDIT: Fans spin up more than idle in CS:GO, but are very quiet.

if u connect the imac 5k to external monitor can you put the screen to sleep and use only the external one? I want to watch movies and play games on my TV but on older models it wasn't possible because the imac monitor wouldn't turn off.

Laai

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Germany
if u connect the imac 5k to external monitor can you put the screen to sleep and use only the external one? I want to watch movies and play games on my TV but on older models it wasn't possible because the imac monitor wouldn't turn off.
I was able to do so in the nVidia settings for my rMBP+External monitor. I don't see why it can't be done with this iMac, will try it tomorrow tho...

gian8989

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
I was able to do so in the nVidia settings for my rMBP+External monitor. I don't see why it can't be done with this iMac, will try it tomorrow tho...
I know that you can do it on all mbp and mac mini. On iMac it only lets you extend or mirror you screen. I'm curious if they have changed this with last model but i'm not so positive since people are asking for this since 2008 :( and Apple as always doesn't give a damn about user feedback (if a mac can't do something it means that you are doing the wrong way - apple style:apple:).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.