Gaming on Macbook C2D - 2 GB RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by METOO999, Apr 25, 2007.

1. METOO999 macrumors regular

Black Macbook C2D 1GB RAM - Boot Camp

I'm trying out S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Half-Life 2 and they run fine on medium settings on my Macbook in Boot Camp WinXP SP2. Would a RAM upgrade to 2 GB make a significant difference? It's a basic WinXP installation with nothing else running in the background except ZoneAlarm.

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Fine on medium settings? Wow. Sure it's "fine" or just "works"? HL2 i'm not so surprised about, but STALKER I am.

If you upgrade your RAM, you'll probably find that things load faster (levels etc.) but I don't think there will be a big performance increase since that would require GPU.

3. METOO999 thread starter macrumors regular

Let me amend that STALKER merely "works." :) It's a bit choppy looking left to right on lower settings, but playable. I haven't gotten into heavy firefights yet. The game still looks nice.

4. RaMaz macrumors regular

RaMaz

2 Gb or ram is better, and it does preform much better

DONT 4GeT

The intel 950 (macbook low-end iMac and mac mini use) is shared with main memory on windows, more ram, more power :D

5. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

more ram doesn't = better graphics, just more graphics memory.

6. Episteme macrumors regular

Indeed.

The big win is that more memory = less swapping.

7. LeftoverCrack macrumors member

well i noticed a decent increase in frames when i upped my ram. especially under bootcamp

8. Crow47 macrumors member

What other games have you tried on it? This is of particular interest to me because I get mine in two days, the exact same model you have.

Have you tried COD4? Have you tried any other UT3 engined games (perhaps even UT3?)?