Gaming on macbook pro with thundebolt display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stened91, May 11, 2012.

1. stened91 macrumors newbie

Well the think is that i have the macbook pro 15 with i7, 8 gig ram, HD 6750 1G and are going to buy thunderbolt display.

i have bootcamp and i have been gaming on it. My question is:
    wil my macbook be good enough to play BF3 on bootcamp on the thunderbolt display?

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Depends on the detail settings. More than okay is a bit optimistic.
    On native res you will have problems. But you can also just run 1280x720 and increase detail. BF3 is just really demanding.

4. stened91 thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont need to play at MAXX settings, but as long as i can play medium/high.
    i am going to play the secret world, gw2, abit wow, soom sniper elite and stuff

at 2560x1440.. it wil be ok?

5. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

At native resolution, it's probably going to choke. I would try different settings and resolutions until you find what you like. At the very least, whatever you end up with will look nice blown up on your huge screen.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

as mentioned you can run at max reso with low settings or low reso with moderate max settings but don't even think about trying to pull of max reso with full AA shaders and detail lol. You need a full sized destop card to pull that off.

7. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Your GPU will choke at anything but low settings at 2560x1440

8. AFPoster macrumors 65816

It'll play but damned if anyone will understand what you're saying, learn to type.

9. stened91 thread starter macrumors newbie

You dont understand what i am typing?

And i am going to buy the Asus gus II and put an GT 560 or GT 660 in it when its out :) if you know what it is

10. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I understood him perfectly.

That won't work unless Apple has the appropriate drivers for those cards.

11. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

You mean the MSI gus? Goodluck with that...a GT 560 or 660 will suck more power than that thing will ever provide. Not to mention that at the cost of it, you'd be better off just buying a second computer.

12. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

I have that setup.It's totaly unplayable.On low setings. I mean c'mon.Macbook pro and boot camp to play BF3 on thunderbolt monitor?! WTF?! I would call that raping of Apple hardware.

13. Callumbear845 macrumors member

Build a $1000 gaming pc instead of buying a $999 display. You will be much happier with the performance, and you could always hook your MBP up to the monitor you will buy for the pc.

14. stened91, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012

stened91 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes but the thing is, i dont play that much, i dont want a windows pc.
    But on the big screen, it wont be a problem if i turn the ressolution down? the screen wont be funky looking?

i just sold my gaming pc becouse i dont need it, i like to run games but dont need to run them at max. And why dont you have faith in Asus gus ? they look very nice and they have drivers for them, just use desktop drivers

15. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Why do you keep calling it Asus Gus? It's made by MSI, and quite simply, it won't work for what you're proposing. The max it can handle is probably a Radeon 6700 class card.

16. stened91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh i mean MSI :D

well what about the ViDock that wil come with thunderbolt that supports 225W. then i can get abit better card, it wil still be better then my 6750m

17. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

no you will not have a good time running this game on 2560x1440.

BF3 is way to demanding, besides Apple TB display is really bad for gaming.

Get a gaming screen for 10% of the price, and play at 1680x1050 or1920x1080, and have some low-mid settings.

18. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

The ViDock accessory has not been formally announced yet, I wouldn't pin my hopes on it. Also, you then have to deal with compatibility and stuff because the drivers for your card of choice may not exist.

BF3 will look like garbage at native resolution on the 6750m. Expect to play at really low resolutions (closer to your MBP's native) on low settings. Not knocking the 6750m, I have one.

Are you buying this display so you can game with a bigger screen? That is not a good idea, your MBP's GPU doesn't have the grunt to drive such a large display at decent settings. If you were planning to buy the display anyway then yes, you can play games on it.

19. stened91 thread starter macrumors newbie

i am buying it becouse i am a photographer.
    the bigger screen is nice to work on. And when i want to play a game i want to play it on decent graphics

20. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Run games at 1280x720. You can run that on mid possibly, and it will still look OK on the monitor since it's 1/2 res.

21. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I see no reason why you shouldn't go ahead then. 'Decent' is subjective but if you want to play at native resolution then most games will be at low settings, maybe medium if they are older. The screen obviously is not going to limit your GPU's performance but it is going to take more from your GPU to run it in its full glory.

22. Kongen1987 macrumors newbie

Running The Secret World on Mac Book Pro

Finally I have made it possible for my mac to run the secret world. First i used VMWare and I will just remind people who want to use it that it is a virtually PC, you cannot use your graphic card!

Then I tried a new PC and it stopped downloading after aprox. 8 gig. I then used boot camp assistant and made a partition, and installed Windows 7. I tought 42 gig. was enough for windows 7 and The Secret World. After Windows was installed I had probably 28 gig free space, while the secret world took 11 gig. What i realized was that the space on boot camp HD decreased more than the actually space the secret world was downloading. So I had to use Winclone to clone my boot camp partition when I had 1 gig left, than delete the boot camp partition and then make a new, for then create a new bootable boot camp HD with more space available. When I did this the new hd could start downloading from where it stopped, which I was very happy about. I have a mid 2008 Mac Book Pro with a gforce 8600m GT card and had to update my drivers. Finally when I crossed my fingers - IT WORKED!!! I almost started to cry!!! , but now you know that you can run a 2008 model mac book pro which will be capable to run The Secret World. I do however have a mid 2008 model mac book pro with gforce 8600m GT, 2.4 mhz and 4 gb ram. I was also able to run it with directx 11. So if you have a mac it is possible to run The Secret World :), but now I am heading to Kingsmounth. Good luck and enjoy the game!:D

Attached Files:

23. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Haha, what an insanely random and off topic post.

24. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Shhhh. We're huntin wabbits.

:)