Gaming on Macbook pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macnub4484, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Macnub4484 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, this is my first post =)

I have just "converted" to the world of macs a couple days ago when I purchased my macbook pro and so far the experience has been amazing. I have also been able to sucessfully install Windows xp on my macbook with bootcamp. However, when I went out and bought Crysis yesterday to play on Windows XP, the performance was way lower than I thought. My specs are:

2.4 GHZ Intel 2 duo core, Nvidia GEforce 6800 GT 256MB, 2 gigs of ram, 160 gigs hard drive.

I can run Crysis on "low" settings at approxiamtely 20 FPS but I know according to the hardware specs it can perform a lot better than that. I have looked for new drivers but came up on a dead end when I went to www.Nvidia.com. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance,

Dan

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

www.laptopvideo2go.com

Generally explore the site and read their faq and experiment with their drivers. The newest ones should be optimized for Crysis.

Download the drivers and the modded inf and you should be ready to go. I can recommend making a backup of your windows partition before though, as I have gotten several BSODs from installing wrong drivers?

3. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I tried running the Crysis demo on my 17" MBP (8600m GT) and it was too brutal even on the lowest settings.

as much as I didn't want to realize this, but I had to, my 17" MBP isn't much for a gaming rig. no other way to color it.

4. holybatfart macrumors member

holybatfart

Nvidia doesn't officially support the 8600M in XP, only Vista so laptopvideo2go is your best bet.

5. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

You have an 8600gt, not a 6800. Very different beasts, to say the least.

Crisys is killing machines much faster then that, so its not unexpected for a laptop to under perform. People with 8800 series cards are reporting similarly bad framerates (I only know this stuff because I go to hard forum alot)

Do you have AA completely disabled? That is one of the big framerate killers. Also, an upgrade to 4gb ram might not be a bad idea.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I was able to do medium settings at 1024x768 in crysis with about 15 fps. So..it ran..if barely. Crysis makes even 8800GT cry at high settings tho..

7. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I built a computer for my best friend that has a 2.4GHz C2D along with 4GBs of memory and an 8800 GTX and Crysis still makes his machine slow down on certain game levels/scenes.

needless to say it's safe to assume running Crysis on any MBP is almost a lost cause.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

hm, I run Crysis on my 2.33 15" at 800x600 on low and it runs smooth...but it looks like crap. :p