Gaming on MBP 13" 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OllieXD, Jun 17, 2011.

1. OllieXD macrumors newbie

So i got a basic 13" mbp for christmas last year and i play games like world of warcraft on it, i experience alot of heat coming from my keyboard and as i have seen this is a common occurrence, but I have recently been thinking about connecting my laptop to my tv screen and playing it through there, and i was wondering if i got a vertical stand, e.g. Twelve South BookArc Desktop Stand for Notebooks, would that keep it cooler over long sessions? If not what would you personally reccomend.

Many Thanks

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

There going to get hot no matter what, I take it your putting your Mac in clamshell mode when you hook up to your tv, even if not still doesn't matter. The stand will be good to provide air-flow well more that is. You could get a cooling fan if you're really worried about the heat, Targus makes a good one.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Putting it in a bookarc closed will heat it up even more than by itself. It has to push a higher resolution, and it can't let heat escape through the keyboard. I'd put it in clamshell mode connected to the TV, then open the lid so the internal display stays off, but lets heat out.

4. OllieXD thread starter macrumors newbie

I havent actually tried it yet. Im gonna buy a linking cable in the near future, it seems there is quite a contrast with the answers here. Surely if i put it on a book arc it will cool the underside?

5. OllieXD thread starter macrumors newbie

I geuss i am being a bit over the top with the heat its creating, but it was a gift and i want to keep it for as long as possible. The heating is normal with a mbp from what i gather from other posts so would it or would it not be worth my while buying a cooler?

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not necessary. I have done plenty of gaming on my computer for the past two years. It gets good and hot, but never causes any issues.

7. OllieXD thread starter macrumors newbie

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your computer is not being damage, nor is it overheating. Just use it. If you feel the need, you can install software such as SMCfancontrol or FanControl to manually set fan speeds to cool the laptop down more, the tradeoff is, of course, more fan noises.

9. OllieXD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, also when it gets quite uncomfortable, e.g when holding the w key when running, would i using a protective cover to reduce the heat on my fingers?

10. OllieXD thread starter macrumors newbie

i had smc control but i decided to stop it after a friend had to get his fans replaced, and he blames that smc

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

No.

Fans are always running at a minimum 2000RPM, eventually, anything spinning at that speed for a time will fail. Does spinning faster make it fail faster? Theoretically yes, but if the fan is well-balanced and the bearing was inserted straight, it will last quite a long time.

Replacing a fan is very easy, and pretty cheap, I've done it myself on my older MBP. I strongly doubt smc had anything to do with it.

12. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

don't bother, just pick up an external keyboard. Makes it easier to play IMO

Also, make sure your fan vent is clear, get some compressed air and blow it out every month or so

13. OllieXD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but im a student so im a bit strapped for cash

14. OllieXD thread starter macrumors newbie

I also dont really know where i could fit an extra keyboard on my workspace

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

Work an extra shift or two and you'll have enough money for a sexy Apple Wireless keyboard :p

16. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

17. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

it may not be necessary to get a stand with a cooling fan but they seem to be very cheap. a standard one would be good though just to raise it up and increase airflow.

18. OllieXD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, what would be the best cooler for it?